Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
ILoveCoffee
Casting On

help. do I work this stitch or not. Still a beginner.
Hi. Thought I would try to make a scarf. I always make a slip not before anything else, and the book says not to count this stitch. Do I work it? I didn't work it at the start, so do I work the last little stitch at the end of rows(it's a bit smaller than the regular chains and always right on the edge of the row). This is making my work uneven on one side it seems.
marking the end stitch helps, but I just need to know if you work the slip knot as you get to the end of the foundation chain or not. Does it become a stitch?
ILoveCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Editing because I misunderstood, thought you mean knitting not crochet. I think I work that st when I crochet, I make it loose so the hook will go into it.

Last edited by suzeeq : 01-31-2011 at 04:37 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

Just to clarify, this is a crochet project, yes?

Can you provide the directions for the first couple of rows or link to a pattern? That will help us help you.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Work the Slip Knot?
Originally Posted by ILoveCoffee View Post
Hi. Thought I would try to make a scarf. I always make a slip not before anything else, and the book says not to count this stitch. Do I work it? I didn't work it at the start, so do I work the last little stitch at the end of rows(it's a bit smaller than the regular chains and always right on the edge of the row). This is making my work uneven on one side it seems.
marking the end stitch helps, but I just need to know if you work the slip knot as you get to the end of the foundation chain or not. Does it become a stitch?

Well, when starting a chain, you start with a slip knot and the loop of that knot becomes the first chain. It would be worked.

But you seem to be making this slip not before each row? Are you changing colors? Once you have a row you should not need to make any more slip knots...

Do you have a camera and can you post a picture of your work in progress? Or if you can provide a link to the pattern (if it is one the web) or type in a brief quote of the part where it tells you to make the slip knot?

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
moggy
Casting On

Usually the only time you need a slip knot for crochet (unless making a lacey type pattern) is the very first time you attach the yarn to your hook - as soon as you make your first chain out of it for the foundation row it turns into chain number 1. When you make your foundation chain have a look at it as it comes off the hook and it turns into that little v that you count.... this is then a regular chain that you work into on your way back (again, unless making a lacey type pattern). That is the only slip knot you would usually need in a pattern (unless changing colours - some crocheters use a slip knot then too).

Working into the foundation chain can be a little tight so you can always do the foundation chain on a hook a size larger making it slightly easier to work into on the way back.