Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
hennrietta
Casting On

Problems with YO between knit and purl stitches.
I am working on this hat, and I am having problems doing a yarn over between knit stitches and purl stitches.

The way that I was doing it was putting my yarn in front of the needles and then wrapping it around the needle so that it's in front of the needles again, but I came to find out that those yarn over's were a lot bigger than any of YO's between two knit stitches.

I've seen a few videos where they say to do a yarn over between a knit stitch and a purl stitch by not bringing the yarn to the front and then purl your stitch. For some reason the women in the videos can do it just fine, but when I get back around to it, I've got this weird mess.

I do my yarn overs between purl and knit stitches and between knit and knit stitches by bringing (or keeping) the yarn in the front and that works just fine. But for some reason, and somehow, I can't do the yarn over's between knit and purl stitches right... except if I bring the yarn to the front and then wrap it around the needle back to the front again, but like I said earlier, that gives me bigger holes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
hennrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
"I do my yarn overs between purl and knit stitches and between knit and knit stitches by bringing (or keeping) the yarn in the front and that works just fine. But for some reason, and somehow, I can't do the yarn over's between knit and purl stitches right"
I had the same problem between knit and purl sts but I was able to solve it by just loosening up on the yo. By putting too much tension on the yo I was making it look like a mistake in the knitting that needed to be corrected rather than a pattern st.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's the 'correct' way to do a p to k yo and the hole is a little bigger than the usual ones, but they may even out some when you wash or block it. The videos you saw were doing a backwards YO by bringing the yarn from the back loosely over the top of the needle to the front, then you have to knit it through the back loop on the next round to keep it open. That makes a somewhat smaller hole so you might try that.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
hennrietta
Casting On

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I was going crazy! I have frogged this hat 4 times because I kept thinking I was making a mistake.
hennrietta is offline   Reply With Quote