Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
kittykins
1st Leg of the Journey

Sock Fever!
Looks like I'm hooked already and I haven't even started my first pair! I've been doing some shopping on the internet, (getting yarn and needles), and wanted to share my experience(s) thus far and see what you all think. Did I do as well as I think I did? Anyone else use these companies/yarns?

Back on the 15th I ordered my Harmony DPN's, (size 2), from Knit Picks. Already knew I would love them...recently received the TRY IT set. That same day I ordered some yarn from Simply Socks Yarn Co. It's: Crystal Palace-Maizy. 82% Corn Fiber, 18% elastic Nylon. Fingering wt. 204 yds per skein. Reg. $7.50 on sale for $3.25! Thought that was a pretty good deal. I couldn't believe it when I found it in my mailbox 3 days later!

Now while I'm waiting for the needles to arrive I got to thinking about the fiber content of this yarn. (Looks yummy). Since I'm just learning to use DPN's I did some researching online and got the feeling I might not want to be working with elastic yarn quite yet. Seems it takes some practice to get the tension right, etc. I need to be focusing on the needles right now. Okay...setting that aside for awhile.

Sooooo now I'm back online shopping for more yarn That was Sun. the 20th. This time I found a company called deramores. There I found: King Cole brand sock yarn. 50% superwash wool, 50% nylon, approx. 493 yds per skein for $6.88. And...FREE SHIPPING!

Here's what really boggled my wee brain. I wasn't sure where this company was located so I sent them an email asking about how long it might take for the yarn to get to me. Got the nicest reply and that's when I found out they are located in the UK! This gal said (apologizing), it would probably take 10-14 business days because first it goes by Royal Mail and then when it arrives in the US it has to go through customs and THEN it will be delivered by USPS. I figured, at this point, I wouldn't be seeing my yarn any time soon. Ha! IT ARRIVED YESTERDAY! (28th), and I love the rich, fun colors. Better than I expected. Oh, they also enclosed free sock patterns!

Well, of course since this sock adventure is all new to me, I have no clue if I made good choices with the yarns, but I've sure been impressed with the two companies I ordered from. Anyone else familiar with them? Geez. I still can't get over that free shipping from the UK and how fast the delivery was. I'm one happy camper at the moment. I'd really appreciate suggestions for any other places you think I might like to check out for sock yarn. Now to get started....
Jeanie
kittykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I've bought yarn from Simply Sock Yarn several times and never had a problem w/them.

Not familiar with the UK store.

Knitpicks also has good sock yarn; good prices, too.

I've knit a pair of socks with Maizy and don't remember the amount of elastic bothering me or being an issue while knitting. I have some other elastic sock yarn (Patons Stretch) - I haven't used it yet but even though it has less elastic in it then the Maizy, it seems more stretchy.

I do like sock yarn to have a bit of nylon or similar. I've found 100% wool does not wear well. Sounds like you got some good deals - now to start those socks!!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
kittykins (03-29-2011)