Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
hennrietta
Casting On

Decorative hat decreases?
I've seen a lot of really cute hat decreases around lately. Eyelet spirals, pretty swirls, and such. I was wondering if anyone knew of any or if there are any websites that could show me a few? I've been knitting for about almost 2 years now, but haven't designed any patterns of my own. I make hats and cowls mostly, so I wanted to try making my own hat pattern with a really pretty decrease pattern.

Also (I don't know if I should make a new forum post for this) but does anyone know of any good resources to help me figure out the basics of designing my own patterns. I've never been good at making swatches and checking my gauge (though I have learned my lesson a few times), so I always get a little freaked out when I start thinking about designing my own patterns.

I saw a book at Border's a while back about sweater design, but I'm looking for more than just sweaters.
hennrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Just the regular k2tog or ssk decs will create a spiral when they're done every other round and over the previous one. I'm sure there's books for general knitting designing. Maria Righetti has one for sweaters, but I think she also has another one. Barbara Walker's Knitting from the top is aimed mostly at top down knitting, but not just for sweaters, she covers other items. And Elizabeth Zimmermann wrote a lot of knitting books that contain recipe style patterns, but they contain a lot of information about how knitting works. You can probably get hold of these through your library (they can request them from others) so you don't have to go buy a bunch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
hennrietta
Casting On

I know how to do the basic k2tog spiral decrease, but I've seen a lot of... I don't know how to put it, eyelet?... holey?... decreases. I was just looking around for some pretty and decorative/show off type decreases. Something just a little more fancy than the basic k2tog/ssk spiral decreases.
hennrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,773 Times in 7,140 Posts
Well, a YO (increase) creates a hole. If you did a matching decrease before and after you'd still be decreasing just one stitch, but have an eyelet. I've never done it, but it seems doable.

Or you could do the two matching on either side of a purl stitch which would create a ridge between the decreases.. Hmm...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote