KINDLE 3 arrived. The leather case, too...the new & improved case with the light. (I read that the 1st generation leather cases were interfering with the electronics of the Kindle itself). Anyway, this version is working fine. Amazon fixed their issues. The LED light works off the battery of the Kindle, no need for batteries...and draws very little 'juice' from the Kindle battery. It sure does help! Glad I got it. I was fretting over the added expense. Yeah, I purchased the red case. The Granite Kindle color is, you know...drab...but white would make the page color look drabber...so I went with Granite...and a red case!
Anyway, happy to report a few nice things I discovered!
1) So you get a thousand things downloaded into your KINDLE...books, pdf's, etc. So who in the world wants to scroll for days, looking for a book, or a certain pdf?? Well, not to worry. You can create COLLECTIONS and name them...and so if I'm looking for a knitting pdf...I will click my KNIT collection...and this makes them more easily accessible.
Now naturally I'm wondering "Hmmm, can I create Collections within Collections?"
Anyone know offhand???
2) YES! I was able to log in at Ravelry!!!
So there ya go! Of course, it is NOT IN COLOR...but, at least it is accessible. I can log in on my email accounts, GOOGLE, etc. Very nice!!! And there is no charge for it. Not being in color
will limit how much I use it. But that's ok. It's free
, and very readable. Nice for responding to messages etc, if your Droidx is low on, or out of, juice in the high mountains.
3) I highly recommend the leather cover
with the light. Just this amount of light really perks up the contrast on the page
! I might use it all the time. My eyes really thanked me. BTW: It does not create glare, being specially made to illuminate the Kindle page. There is another style case that takes a different kind of light that is clipped on. Seems kind of cumbersome and annoying. This light (below) just pulls out of the top right corner, and when you pull it out far enough it "clicks" into position and turns itself on. How convenient and tidy!
4) The drag-drop thing was smooth. First time I connected my Kindle to my laptop via the USB cord enclosed, the software loaded up real quick, recognizing my Kindle. And the drag-drop thing was easy. Amazingly fast! You can drag-drop music to the 'music' folder...and all pdf's and docs are dragged to the 'documents' folder...and whoosh. They appear in your KINDLE as soon as you eject the KINDLE from your laptop on the computer's end. You don't yank it out of your KINDLE. You must play nice.
5) The USB cord also has a AC adapter that allows you to plug your KINDLE into the wall...and if you pull off the AC adapter head...it exposes the USB connector...and you plug that into your laptop. Kinda nice that one cord can be used for two functions.
Thought you might like to know that I am very impressed with the EASE at which I was able to become adapted to navigating the Kindle. I thought I'd have more trouble.
One thing...if you have access to any device (like a Droid) that can get the USER GUIDE from Amazon...it really helps to read the USER GUIDE on your Droid, while you are working out a solution on the KINDLE. I mean...how can you 'read' the USER GUIDE remedy at the same time you're trying to (for example) follow steps 1-5 for setting up a "COLLECTION"? Kinda inconvenient. You'd have to have a split screen!
So, do yourself a favor. Get on your Droid (or other smartphone), go to Amazon.com and fetch the USER GUIDE
into your (Android or other) Kindle app. Then you can open both the Kindles
when you're a newbie trying to do this and that!
I had read someone comment on that very issue.
6) My KINDLE 3 arrived with the 3.1 update pre-installed. One of the cool features
in the recent update is this: the REAL PAGE NUMBERS (corresponding to the hard copy paper & ink book) appear at the bottom of the Kindle page, too! (You have to press MENU to bring up the page number at the bottom of the page) So now when you are talking to someone who has the hard copy book...you both have a point of reference with the real page numbers!
Yay!!! This has been a long time a'comin' if you ask me!
Now doggone it...I'm going to bed to read!
I've read internet testimonies that this light doesn't disturb the partner laying next to you, snoring!