Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
help felting Lamb's Pride Worsted?
I did some research and I did read that this one takes longer, but I've frankly lost count of how many runs through the wash I'm up to. I've also tried doing the cold rinse, using a bit of regular detergent, adding baking soda, soaking for 15 (and then 20) minutes in the hot water before agitating, etc. I haven't felted in a while and only the second time with this machine (new top loader purchased in 01/2011) and the first time worked beautifully. What's odd is ONE section of the items are felted perfectly gorgeous, but the part that's more important to felt for sizing has barely, if at all.

Anyone have any other tips or at least had similar experience so I don't freak out? LOL. Thanks in advance!

ETA: Oh, I do have one specific question. I know to add jeans/towels, etc. to the wash and use the smallest load size possible for the best agitation, but is there like a recommended amount of additional things? I keep adding items hoping it will help.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
I've never used that yarn, but a generally you use the hottest water you can, low level, jeans (or towels) and agitation. If these don't work are you positive it's not the super wash wool?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
boyforpele13 (08-15-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I'm 100% positive it was their regular Lamb's Pride Worsted http://brownsheep.com/yarns/lamb-pride?view=category which is supposedly excellent for felting. Knitter's Review did a series on felting and said it took 26 minutes (I'm probably closer to 26 wash cycles lol,) which was longer than most other wools, but that it felted just fine and maybe a bit thicker than other felts, but nothing else about it really. I even tried submerging in a bowl of ice and then back in the hot as I read that somewhere (I'd heard the temperature shock sometimes helps before reading that.)

I think I'm going to give it one more shot in a full wash and if it doesn't work, just going to have to run out tomorrow and find some wool, I'm afraid. :/ I just don't have much of a selection locally, hopefully I can find something!

Thanks a bunch!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

This is bizarre! I can't imagine why it's not working then!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Yeah, I think I officially give up. The last round (that I said I was giving up after,) I *thought* I started to see some felting action finally, so I did it one more go before bed and again just now and I'm just still not happy with the result and am off to try to find last-minute birthday wool in a few minutes. :P I think I might write them to see if they have any thoughts, although it will be too late probably. At this point, if the recipient knew how much water has gone into attempting to felt them, she would be pretty unhappy with me (and I can't say I'd blame her) so I really just need to call it.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Try throwing it in the dryer on hot.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Check to see what temperature your water heater is set on. It may not be hot enough to do a good job. Or try a washer at the laundry mat. They usually are much hotter than mine at home. Also, as stated above, throw them in one of their dryers. They get quite hot.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post: