Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Olha
Turning the Heel

FO: all kinds of hats
It's a fact of life -- most hats look ridiculous on me and I don't take it personally anymore. For some reason hats with oversized brims, cowls worn like hats, and very crooked berets make more sense than anything normal people wear.

So, this first one is mine and it is a negative image of my husband's hat.

This is the first beret attempt -- turned out bigger than planned and it goes to charity. I am sure there are people with size L heads.

This set is a Christmas gift for my friend. The cowl can double for 'my ears are cold' hat.

And yes, it's first snow.

Last edited by Jan in CA : 11-23-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Olha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Those are some lovely hats, Olha!!

I make a crocheted hat that I bet would look great on you. I say this because I've made this hat for tons of people, and it looks cute on EVERYONE. When I wear mine, my husband calls me his "little bambuski" because it has a Russian look to it.

Anywhoo, it appears you have your headgear all ready to go, so you don't need my help! You are so talented, and I'm happy to see you making some items for yourself every now and then. I was afraid that the kids would get it all!

I'm deep into bunny ears in my hat menagerie quest!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks!

Please share the pattern for a crochet hat! I do very basic crochet but have two hats for my kids to prove it

I am still puzzled how the word 'babushka' (which means grandma) became a name for headgear It is obvious, that Eastern European grandmas are wearing the types of triangular headscarves tied under the chin but now I see it in other contexts too, such as a name for Russian nesting dolls or any kind of 'Russian' hat

I was wondering about your lion hat. I saw a crocheted one with the face on top and the lower jaw formed from the tied flaps but wasn't sure if you are still working on it. How are the ears going?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Those are beautiful, especially the stranded one! I don't look good in hats either and don't like crochet so I'll stick to a hood or scarf over my head.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Olha (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

I had forgotten where I found the pattern for the hat I mentioned, but then I remembered it was on that stupid Lion Brand site.

Here's the link: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cc...ages=&newreg=1

The kind of yarn they recommend is an imitation chenille, which is discontinued now, but you can use any type of bulky weight yarn as long as your gauge is right, of course.

If you decide to make this hat and get stuck, let me know--I have this pattern down from making so many oodles of them.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

Oops! I forgot to update you on the lion hat. I'm still planning to make it, and I've been doodling around (is that what you call it when you start and stop and start and stop a project--'cause it's not really "swatching"?) with different ideas for how to get the "jaws" to look right. I think I've figured out that I can put increases on both sides near the ears to make it "bend" down somewhat, but not too much.

I started out using the gold lion color without any ribbing, but I think I need to undo that and do about two rows of white ribbing for teeth--and to keep the stockinette stitch from rolling (of course). After I'm done, I think I will go back and add pointy crocheted teeth to this ribbing!

If you have a link for the crocheted hat, please post it (but don't look it up again if you don't already have it--you have other, more important things to do). I'm looking at all the lion (and shark) hats I can find to get ideas.

The bunny ears are coming along nicely. I just got some more yarn this morning, so perhaps I can finish them up this week. Thanks for asking!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Olha
Turning the Heel

Thanks a lot! It's funny, I was just telling Jan that a brimmed hat was about the only thing that looked good on me. I might give it a try
Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,438 Times in 3,117 Posts
The hats and headband are a perfect combination of colors and great technique. It's always such fun to see the projects you're working on.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Olha (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Beautiful, Olha!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
Olha (11-23-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Woodi
Turning the Heel

Oh Olha, those are stunning works of art to me! How lovely a knitter you are, so even. Lucky people who get your knitted gifts. Will you ever model one of your lovely hats for us, so we can get to see you? (or is there a 'meet the people' thread somewhere)....
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote