Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Miamax
Casting On

Knitted edging
Hi
I am at a loss as to how many sts to pick up for my project.
I have a pattern that calls for me to picking up sts to finish the outer edge of my sweater. The pattern calls for size 8 circular needles -36".
I am supposed to start at botton right seam, pick up sts and space sts to keep edges smooth and flat. I know that in general, the rule is pick up 3 sts for every 4 sts but that seems like a huge number to pick up and I was worried my needle will not be big enough. I will be knitting these stitches for 7 rounds.

Is there a good way to decide on how many sts to pick up for this type of edging?

Thanks
Miamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think 3 out of 4 is about right, but it would make better sense if they gave you some idea of how many stitches you should end up with. I find that it can be trial and error. It is a comfort, though, that if you find you didn't do enough or did too many, the stitches can be pulled out without any real consequence to the sweater (though not to your time).

Maybe you can find a pattern that is similar to yours and see about how many stitches should be picked up.

A 36" needle is pretty long. I really believe that you'll have plenty of room.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Miamax (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Miamax
Casting On

thanks...i will look for a similar pattern

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I think 3 out of 4 is about right, but it would make better sense if they gave you some idea of how many stitches you should end up with. I find that it can be trial and error. It is a comfort, though, that if you find you didn't do enough or did too many, the stitches can be pulled out without any real consequence to the sweater (though not to your time).

Maybe you can find a pattern that is similar to yours and see about how many stitches should be picked up.

A 36" needle is pretty long. I really believe that you'll have plenty of room.
Miamax is offline   Reply With Quote