Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
KnittingElf
Casting On

Left twist stitch
This is the pattern I'm working on: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L0592.html?noImages=

I'm trying to do Square 3. The directions for the left twist say to: Knit the 2nd st on left needle through the back loop and leave on left needle. Then k2tog (the first and 2nd sts on left needle) through back loops.

I know what it is asking me to do, but I'm having trouble. No matter how loose I made my stitches, it still feels too tight when I try to knit the two together through the back loops. I've read two methods of doing the left twist, this way described in the pattern, and the other way where you knit the first stitch as normal after you do the second stitch through the back loop. I can do that method easier. Is there any difference in how it looks?
KnittingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
HandyFamily
Casting On

I think it will look different, really. If you knit the two through the back loops you will have a decrease twisted left. And you knitted the second once more, so you actually have the same number of stitches, but the stitch you see will be twisted. And if do it the second way the stitch you see will be normal, facing right, as to say. The only thing I can think of right now that will look similar is to make it as cable stitch - i.e. change the places of the first and second stitches on your left needle, the second coming before the first from the back of your work, do the now first (it was your second) as normal and stitch the now second - which was the first - as twisted, through the back loop.

Find me at http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandyFamily?ref=si_shop for yarns and patterns, or at http://kikikati.snimka.bg/hobby/moi-...rbi.312695.all for pictures of my work.
HandyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,333 Times in 3,018 Posts
I think the trick to doing these crosses is to pull a bit more yarn through when you make the first st so that you have some leeway to do the second part of the twist. The best thing for you to do is try both ways on some scrap yarn and see which you prefer. One has a twisted st, the other doesn't. Either one, used consistently and paired with a similar right cross, will work in the pattern.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Do a sample with 22 sts, enough for 2 pattern repeats of 9 sts, and a couple edge sts. Try the pattern with both twist - one done their way and one done the other way, see if it does make a difference. It may be that since it's new to you and just awkward, and that by practicing it this way you might get the hang of it. Or you might find doing them without the k2tog looks alright too. I don't like how the k2tog R twist looks, it seems messier than knitting the sts separately.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
KnittingElf
Casting On

I've got it! Thanks everyone. My biggest problem was getting the needle through the first stitch when I knit the two together. Pulling a bit more yarn through like Salmonmac suggested helped a lot. Mostly I think my needles are making it more difficult. They are very cheap plastic ones that I borrowed until my knitting store gets the kind I want in. The yarn drags really bad, so it makes it more difficult to maneuver, but I'm getting it! It's looking good!
KnittingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, plastic needles can be sticky, just like bamboo. Metal are the slickest kind.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You're not going to get the entire needle through those loops. It's okay to do it on the tips. What some knitters do is slip those stitches on the left needle to be worked on a smaller needle, like a double point. If you are using size 8's, slip the to-be-crossed stitches on a 5. It gives you a little wiggle room. But it can be a pain if you've got a lot of those crossed stitches in the row.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote