Old 03-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
shiningdown
Casting On

Starting a charity knitting group
Hi! After 4 years of crocheting, I well... sort of gave up and took on knitting a couple of weeks ago. As I was wondering what I would possibly knit after I had made things for my family and friends... and then I thought of charity knitting!

I have a couple of friends that crochet or knit, and I thought we could start a group, though I haven't asked them yet. If we started now, who knows how much we might have by winter time.

And so I was wondering, where do you charity-knitters donate to? I don't want to have to knit anything too elaborate. I've honestly never understood patterns, and all I can knit is blankets and scarves, but I'm sure I could easily learn to knit hats.

Also, if I have to ship them somewhere, wouldn't that get quite expensive? If it helps, I live around Denver, Co. Thanks!

"A true friend knows everything about you.... and still love you anyways."

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
shiningdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Wow. Where to start?

I took up crochet again, after an approx. 15-year hiatus due to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, in January 2008. By the end of 2009, I had crocheted 30 chemo hats. These were turned in at a local yarn shop which donated them to a women's health center in Oakland (I think; maybe Berkeley).

Simply find a health center that deals with people who have cancer and get going. No shipping. Men, women, and children all face hair loss from chemotherapy due to cancer. Others face hair loss from neurosurgery, yet others from alopecia and additional medical conditions. Contact medical centers (oncology, hospital social workers, etc.) for guidance; there may be fiber requirements.

Similarly with infant needs. Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) often need an infinite supply of caps, tiny mittens and booties, blankets, and other items for the babies in their care. They will also have specifications for fiber and size of items.

I currently work with a group who knit/crochet hats and neck scarves for a homeless project in San Francisco and baby hats and blankets for a mother/infant hospital in Tanzania. We have these two diverse target delivery groups because that's where our *personal* contacts are. One of our members works directly with the specific homeless project in S.F., so she can verify that the hats and neck scarves are put into the hands of homeless men and women who can use them. The daughter of another member works at the Tanzanian hospital/clinic and can personally verify that the blankets and baby hats go to new mothers and their infants. The concern is for the items to make it to the targeted recipients and NOT to be diverted into a cash stream for third parties.

If these options don't work for you and the others, why not approach the social outreach officer (or whatever he/she is called) in the local police/fire departments? Often, children or even entire families are traumatized by the loss of their home in a fire, or children are suddenly taken from their families by Children's Protective Services (CPS). Children finding themselves suddenly in foster care can definitely use something made specifically **for them** like a blanket, pillow, teddy bear (maybe for younger kids), etc.

Warm Up America is a great way for individuals to pool their resources together. Each person can knit/crochet a 7"x9" rectangle, and the rectangles are joined into blankets. Give these away in your community through the WarmUp network or through the channels I've listed above.

No doubt many more members of Knitting Help will have yet other helpful suggestions; these are just a start. Most yarn shops (and quilt shops, too) know of many community projects their clients support, so call around locally, too.

DogCatMom
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I started crocheting a long, long time ago and then started knitting in 2005. You'll love it once you get the hang of it!

I've made chemo caps and donated to them to both friends of friends or family as well as sending them to people who've asked here in the forum.

I've made children's vests and sweaters that were sent to groups that delivered them to both US and overseas destinations.

Preemie hats and clothing to members who asked here in the forum.

Local hospitals, shelters, veterinarians, etc often accept donations. At the top of the page is a whole thread full of links. But, here's a few ways to look as well.
http://www.woolworks.org/charity.html
http://cache.lionbrand.com/charityConnection.html

I've knit for these last two a few times, too.
http://www.afghansforafghans.org/
http://www.heartforafrica.ca/DuduzaDolls.aspx

And finally.... don't give up on patterns. Reading them really isn't difficult. Just do it one step at a time. You'll find lots of posts here in the forum where people are asking about what words mean or how they do something. We all had to learn sometime.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
shiningdown
Casting On

Thanks!
Thank you both for your help!!!

"A true friend knows everything about you.... and still love you anyways."

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
shiningdown is offline   Reply With Quote