Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Proper Etiquette
I need some advice regarding a pattern I found online for a "simple cap." The person who posted the pattern gave instructions for both bulky yarn and worsted yarn. Since I am still new and have been using worsted yarn on all of my projects thus far, I went straight to the instructions for worsted (which was beneath the instructions for bulky yarn).
Anyway, she said to knit in stockinette stitch for 4 & 1/2 to 5 inches after the one inch of ribbing (k1, p1). So being the "newbie" that I am, I went to my beginner's book and double checked the definition of stockinette stitch, which is of course, alternating rows of knit and purl stitches.
Then, when the pattern came to the part about decreasing for crown shaping, it was suddenly knit every row...I realized this was going to possibly look odd. I went up to the instructions for bulky yarn on her page, and found that she had "defined" stockinette stitch as "knit every row" in this section--which is actually garter stitch, of course.
I finished the cap for the practice because it was my first project on circular needles and of course, I like to finish what I start! It does look odd, but too big for me to wear anyway. Besides, my husband liked the stockinette stitch and asked me to make him a hat with stockinette stitch all the way to the top--I am currently working on that project and am almost done! No harm done in the end.
However, I would like advice on the proper etiquette for correcting someone who posts a pattern online...Is there a proper way to do this? Should I just leave it alone? She does have a link to her email address on her page...My concern is for other new knitters who may do the same thing I did. Besides, she proclaims this as being "the simplest cap of all."
CraftyCricketNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Cricket,

So glad your DH fell in love with your adaptation!

Etiquette-wise, there's no comfortable way to say "hey, this doesn't look right me."

Maybe a brief note to the designer telling her you're a beginner, and that her definition of stockinette as knitting every row confused you because most stitch dictionaries define k every row as garter stitch, and stockinette as alternating k and purl rows. Ask her to change her definition in the pattern from "stockinette stitch" to "pattern stitch" and to put it at the beginning of the pattern so others won't suffer the same fate as you.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
CraftyCricketNC (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you knit in the round, you do knit every round to get stockinette stitch. So pay attention to whether it's joined to knit in the round or knit flat. It may be she's taken a knit in the round pattern and changed it to knit flat though, but didn't convert it completely. But go ahead and contact her to get clarification.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
CraftyCricketNC
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
When you knit in the round, you do knit every round to get stockinette stitch. So pay attention to whether it's joined to knit in the round or knit flat. It may be she's taken a knit in the round pattern and changed it to knit flat though, but didn't convert it completely. But go ahead and contact her to get clarification.
Thank you for the clarification. I was not aware that it was different in the round! I truly am learning something new every day!
Another thing I "accidentally" learned when making this hat was how to make button-holes. When I was supposed to increase 8 stitches evenly from 72 to 80 after the ribbing, I referred to my beginner's book and decided (randomly) to do yarn over increases. When I saw the holes, I thought I had done something terribly wrong! Turns out I just learned a new skill!
Thanks again for your help.
CraftyCricketNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep YOs increase a stitch though they're not generally used unless you're making lace or want eyelets on purpose. You can work them tbl (through the back leg) on the next row to close them up if you don't want the holes, and many people do use this as an increase - I do sometimes.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

If you think there's an error in the pattern, I would definitely contact the designer. You can always phrase it as a question and ask for clarification on the parts you don't understand. You can even point out inconsistencies between the two patterns and ask if this is correct.

If done nicely, it should not hurt the person's feelings. And if it does offend the designer, then perhaps he/she should get out of the designing business!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
margrue
Ribbing the Cuff

I found the pattern for "The simplest cap of all", and it is knit in the round, so instead of knitting a row, turning and purling back the other side, you just keep knitting in a spiral for as long as you want it to be. It is stockinette stitch ( smooth knit stitches on the outside, purl bumps on the inside) but made without any purling.
If you did a round of knit stitches and then a round of purl stitches, you would have garter stitch, even though, as you said, garter stitch is "knit every row" if you were working back and forth on a flat piece.
There is really no error in her pattern, just an assumption on her part that the knitter has some basic knowledge. The designer assumes that you know the difference between knitting flat and knitting in the round, and now you do.
margrue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to margrue For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (07-14-2012)