Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Rockmelon
Casting On

New to Knitting!
Seven years after retirement and I was booored! So in November 2011, I picked up a pair of knitting needles and began knitting squares which consisted of 'knit, rip apart', again and again! Being a perfectionist, I was determined to be able to knit without obvious errors and I'm quite near that point. Or I should say that I am now able to recognize errors much more quickly and am able to 'save' the project.

In February 2012, my grandson begged me to make him a hat. (Up to this point I had not actually 'made' anything). But I knitted a square, sewed up the back, made a pom pom and I finally had a hat!

Since then, I've probably knitted 25 hats and my progress has been amazing. No fancy stitches....but I have fun with stripes. My knitting supplies consist of lots of circular needles and bulky yarn which I prefer over that skinny little yarn I call string.

So I just wanted to say "Hello" to those reading this forum and I would be happy to hear from you and how you got into this obsession!

Have a GREAT DAY!

Rockmelon
Rockmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Welcome to KH and to the wonderful wacky world of knitting. I know what you mean about knitting and ripping and knitting and ripping. I do that a lot, and I always tell my husband that when you do this, you don't need to buy any more yarn (although I do anyway).

Perhaps you can learn some more complicated knitting techniques here on KH. If you haven't already, check out the how-to videos under the Free Videos tab.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Rockmelon
Casting On

Oh yes....I intend to read as many tips and watch as many video's as I can. Since I don't know any one who knits, I have to get my answers online and sometimes even after watching a video I'm left wondering 'how do you do that again?'

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
Hi and welcome to KH from another Marylander!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
LongShanks
Ribbing the Cuff

Rockmellon where are you in Maryland? If you are anywhere near Gettysburg, PA check out The Mannings , Great people, great store, great classes and great knitter, spinner and weaver days. Well worth the trip. There are also a lot of LYS in the MD/VA/DE/PA/WV area.

Yes there are spots in the Old Line state where YLS are few and far between.

Born in Frederick, grew up in Mt. Airy, Married and lived again in Frederick, now in south central PA.

Hear Hooves think horses.
LongShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
LongShanks
Ribbing the Cuff

Ah Yes the Knit and rip method of knitting I know it so well.

Some observations from my experience.
  • Knitting should and can be relaxing; knit for fun and relaxation not perfection.
  • Imperfections that you see will never be seen by others.
  • Knitting stitches are under tension and as the item is used, worn and laundered the tension between all stitches it trying to even out. As the tension evens out many "imperfection" will disappear.
  • There are no imperfections in knitting there are just unplanned design elements.
  • Knitting in the round is the same as knitting squares, you just do not have any edges.
  • There are excellent videos on this site and Youtube that will help you expand your abilities.
  • No matter what the hat looks like your Grandson will love it because it was knit be HIS GRANDmother.

I have learned these concepts over the years. In the beginning I worn out more yarn by knit/rip, knit/rip, knit/rip than by wearing.

Enjoy and welcome to the addiction called knitting.

Hear Hooves think horses.
LongShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Rockmelon
Casting On

Thank you for the tips! I'll keep them in mind and TRY to relax!