Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
ylimeoe
Ribbing the Cuff

Difference between circular needles and straight needles
I'm confused on why you would knit with circular needles. Do they have a special purpose? What kinds of things can you knit with the two types of needles? I was just wondering the difference.
ylimeoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Antares
Working the Gusset

Circular needles are mainly for projects knit in the round (i.e., in a tube); however, many (dare I say "most") experienced knitters use circular needles for just about everything because they can be used in place of straight needles, too.

Circs are particularly handy when you have a worked-flat project with lots of stitches. The connecting cable between the circular needles allows the bulk of the project to rest in your lap; thus, taking a strain off your wrists and hands.

For projects that require a small tube (such as hats and mittens), many knitters still use circular needles by using a variety of methods for when the knitting becomes too short to fit around the circs: magic loop, two circular needles, or traveling loop. Check out the videos on this site to see the first two mentioned: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

And here's some information about traveling loop: http://impeccableknits.wordpress.com/traveling-loop/
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
ylimeoe (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
They can be used for anything flat or in the round which means a seamless tube.

I use them for everything and haven't used straight needles in years. I can't imagine socks, mittens or hats with seams. Socks would be uncomfortable and hat and mitten seams often interrupt the design.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ylimeoe (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
ylimeoe
Ribbing the Cuff

cool, thanks!
ylimeoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
I also like circs and use them all the time because you no longer need worry about where the other needle is. It's right there with your knitting and not hiding in the couch. Then too, you won't frighten you seatmates on airplane trips when you knit with circs instead of long, flashing sticks.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
ylimeoe (07-05-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Another good thing is that they store easily. You can coil them up and put them back in the package they came in. They take up a lot less space than long needles. I think they make straight needles shorter now, but you can still get old needles at thrift stores that are up to 14 inches long! That's a lot of needle to poke someone with that's sitting next to you. I use only circulars myself. The Knitpicks interchangeables are especially nice because you can combine two or more cables if you're knitting a large sweater. Circulars are also good if you're going to knit a large blanket or knit a scarf lengthwise rather than widthwise. You can easily cast on 200-300 stitches on one. There's a pattern I want to do one of these days that casts on 300 stitches for a scarf. It's done in garter. Colors are changed every row so it looks striped. The ends are clipped leaving a few inches and this is used as a fringe on the ends. Really cute!
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
ylimeoe (07-05-2012)