Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

Knit cuff/bracelet: why is it that sometimes, the top part ends up tighter than the bottom part, thus not fitting around my wrist? (see Youtube video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzT3...ature=youtu.be

Here's a video of this one cuff I knitted, and as you can see the top is tight while the bottom is much more stretchy & flexible. Why is that? What mistake could I have made that would lead to the top being too tight all of a sudden? It's not the first time this happens, and when it does, I don't know where I went wrong... I'd really like to understand how to avoid this.

Please & Thank you
GabrielleCaramelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Is the top the CO or BO edge? Either way, it's probably done too tightly. Use a different method or larger needle.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
GabrielleCaramelle (08-05-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
The bind off and cast on are often not the same tightness. Try using a bigger needle as Sue suggested.

Also please use the body of the message for your questions not the subject line.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

I don't understand... how would I ask a question then? What would I be supposed to put in the subject line? Something like "Issue with knit bracelet"..?

(Pardon me, I am new at forums and this website. I usually use Yahoo! Answers.)

Also, I'm not sure that the needle size is part of the issue because I've made 3 other cuffs that were just as loose on the top part as on the bottom part and fit perfectly around my wrist. I make a row of 28 stitches (to go around my wrist) then I just knit till it seems like a proper thickness.

I'm not 100% familiar with the vocabulary involved in knitting so I can't really answer the question about the CO or BO thing. I am self taught via Youtube videos, not by stinginess or laziness but having no other choice. I can barely afford the yarn in the first place...
Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Right, just make your subject line short, then the full question and any explanation goes into the message. Web forums are a little different than Yahoo answers, they're a bit more like emails than text messages.

And I forgot to mention it before - welcome to Knitting Help!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
GabrielleCaramelle
Casting On

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,116 Times in 2,829 Posts
Hi and welcome. It may be that this particular yarn was a little "grabbier" and not as smooth as the other yarns you've used. Or it could be that you tightened up on the cast on or the bind off without thinking about it. Using a larger needle for the beginning or ending (and the correct needle size for the main part of the wristband) should help solve that problem. If it's the bind off that's too tight, you can undo and re-knit.
There are also very stretchy cast ons and bind offs to try.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

For me, my cast on is tighter than my bind off. I suspect that's what's going on. What I do is when I bind off, I PURL all the stitches rather than knit them. This makes the cast on and bind off look the same. It also pulls the bind off in a little. Try it and see what you think. And welcome to KH!
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote