Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Adding yarn then immediately bind off
My title may sound a bit weird, but here's what my question is.
I am to the point on the back of a sweater where I'm starting the shaping for the neck. The pattern says: knit in pattern to marker, add yarn and BO between markers....
My question is how is the best way to add the second ball of yarn and then immediately bind off the stitches?
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh that's for the neck shaping. Just start using the yarn - leave a tail long enough to weave in later and knit the 2 sts to do the first BO. Binding off will keep the sts from being loose and it won't pull out. You would do the same thing if you have to 'join' 'rejoin' or 'attach' yarn to knit in another place too, the stitches won't unravel, and you can pull on the tail if the first few get a little loose.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (08-28-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
margrue
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
"My question is how is the best way to add the second ball of yarn and then immediately bind off the stitches?"
Knit to the marker and leave the first ball of yarn attached . Add on the new ball, bind off to the second marker ( this leaves the bound off stitches in the middle of the neck which you will likely pick up later for some sort of neck band). Now you can work on both sides at once, using a separate ball of yarn for each side.
If you had bound off with the old ball of yarn , that yarn would now be on the left side of the work and you would have to add a new ball to work the right side. This is just a different way of doing it.

Last edited by Jan in CA : 08-28-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote so it's easier to read:)
margrue is offline   Reply With Quote