Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Lucy0723
Casting On

Wool suggestions!
Hello lovely people. I have just joined this site to ask for some help if I may be so cheeky! I dont want to ask in our shop as invariably they will sell me something which isnt right and my pile of unfinished projects will stack up even further, so I am hoping you kind people might have some advice! I have bought a fabulous book of blanket patterns, it wasnt until I got home that I realised it was using rowan wool. Had I known, I probably wouldnt have bought it as I dont really want to remortgage the house just to knit a lovely big blanket! The pattern I love calls for rowan all seasons, but the woman in the shop suggested rowan handwool would equally work (It might have been because they didnt stock all seasons, but had stacks of the other - forgive my lack of trust, please!!). I would love to know if anyone could recommend a good value for money wool which would work with the pattern at the same tension (around 20 stitches, to 28 rows on 4mm needles I think). Kind regards, Lucy
Lucy0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you're looking to buy on-line, and are in the US, I'd suggest looking at the Valley Yarn line at Webs.com . I particularly love the softness of the Berkshire, though they are all a nice wool for good value. Webs often has sales on various yarns. Littleknits.com is also a good site for great sales on great wools.

A lot depends on how much you're willing to spend. I agree that the Rowan yarns, especially from a store, would make a very expensive blanket.

I'm sure you'll get lots of favorites--Cascade 220; Plymouth Encore for a machine-washable blend, etc.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Lucy0723 (09-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I can't imagine making a blanket with anything that isn't washable myself. Do you have a preference? What fiber would you like suggestions for? I just noticed the Rowan All Seasons yarn is a cotton/acrylic blend...? Funny the store suggested the wool to you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Lucy0723
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I can't imagine making a blanket with anything that isn't washable myself. Do you have a preference? What fiber would you like suggestions for? I just noticed the Rowan All Seasons yarn is a cotton/acrylic blend...? Funny the store suggested the wool to you.
Personally, I would like a nice soft cotton or something. I agree it would definately need to be washable as my dog will try and share it in winter! I am in UK, but more than happy to order on line from US and wait (I do the same with my quilting material too), but I just dont know where to start. I need to work out how to convert the tension in the book from cms, to inches as per most of the US sites. The blanket itself is formed from 7 inch squares, so perhaps the tension wont make too much of a difference, but every time I have "done my own thing" from a pattern, it hasnt really worked! Grateful for all suggestions to be honest as I really love the blanket, but to knit in Rowan would be so expensive. I'd never use it if I finished it!!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
There are a couple of cotton/acrylic blends that might work: Berroco Weekend or Berroco Captiva or Reynolds Santana.
You can also convert cm to inches in Google. Just type in xcm equals inches and there you go. (I always carry around 10cm=4inches and convert from there.) Good luck with your search and enjoy knitting the blanket. It'd be great to see a picture when it's finished.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Lucy0723
Casting On

Thanks for all the help. Looking around, it is still going to cost me somewhere in the region of $200 to knit the whole blanket!! EEEk! I think its time to start looking for a new project :-(
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
nanasaidso
Casting On

Lucy0723,

I'm thinking you're using 'wool' in the UK way, meaning any type of yarn? If so, that might be misleading people to think you are looking specifically for sheep wool, etc., when you're just looking for suggestions for any appropriate yarn similar to the one recommended but less costly.
nanasaidso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nanasaidso For This Useful Post:
Lucy0723 (09-09-2012)