Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
InterNette
Turning the Heel

denise kit
Does anyone own denise needles and do you like them? Also would you buy a denise kit that had 2 needles missing if it was $8.00? I am sorta the anal person who likes everything just so and the fact 2 needles are missing bothers me but I do like to pick up needles whenever I come across them on sale.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
1. I have them and personally don't care for them. I prefer metal needles (or occasionally wood) and thin, flexible cable. I own multiple Knitpicks Options nickel plated and several harmony needles. Those are all I use now. That being said, many people do like them a lotto it depends on what you like.

2. I was going to say that whether to purchase them would be dependent on which size was missing, but then again...for only $8 you can hardly go wrong. I don't know. Since I don't like them I'm not the one to say really.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
deann (09-07-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

You might check with the company and see how easy it would be to replace the two missing needles (especially if you really really want a full set). I'd probably buy it for $8 myself. And if I ended up not liking it, I would either resell it or give it to another knitter who likes those type of needles.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

I have the Denise set and I use mine all the time. I prefer to use a non metal type of needle for most things, I find they are easier on my hands. Very much a personal preference. I would definitely buy the set for $8. I don't think it would cost a whole lot to replace the missing needles. Even if I couldn't replace them, I think I would still buy it for that price.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by InterNette View Post
Does anyone own denise needles and do you like them? Also would you buy a denise kit that had 2 needles missing if it was $8.00? I am sorta the anal person who likes everything just so and the fact 2 needles are missing bothers me but I do like to pick up needles whenever I come across them on sale.
I have the entire interchangable kit and I HATE it, It was a waste of money for me. When I have the connectors in, they keep coming off when I go to pull the wire to knit the other side using the magic loop method. I just bought a set of bamboo circulars and like those much better.
deann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Constant Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

I have two sets of Denise needles and the crochet hooks as well. I love the ease and convenience of going between sizes, but I do become overly frustrated when the needle and cable separate mid-row. It may require me to pay closer attention when knitting to prevent the separation [I tend to twist my knitting], but it's worth it to me for the convenience.

The customer service department is very accommodating and have replaced both needles and cables whenever I've been dissatisfied.
Constant Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Christinechrstms1
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Skype™ to Christinechrstms1
I would have bought them. I just ordered a set of the new Sunstruck Interchangeables from Knit Picks. I really love the Harmony Set but find that I could use doubles.

I felt guilty at first because I bought the Harmony's not too long ago but know that they will be put to good use and carry a lifetime warranty.

I am sure the guilt will fade once I see them
Christinechrstms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Christinechrstms1 View Post
I would have bought them. I just ordered a set of the new Sunstruck Interchangeables from Knit Picks. I really love the Harmony Set but find that I could use doubles.

I felt guilty at first because I bought the Harmony's not too long ago but know that they will be put to good use and carry a lifetime warranty.

I am sure the guilt will fade once I see them
Oh yeah...you can definitely use another set! I bought one set of the nickel plated and have bought at least another one or two piecemeal. The Sunstruck are gorgeous! Last time I had to order something from KP I bought a couple sets to see them and love them!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Christinechrstms1 (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Tntgin4118
Ribbing the Cuff

I have a set of the Denise Interchangables and used them a LOT until I started trying to do magic loop. The cables are just too stiff (IMO) for that. But for $8.... yeah, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I found a really good deal on a used set of AddiClicks (Lace) and those work nicely for me on magic loop. I'm sure I'll still use my Denise set too. It all depends on what I'm knitting and where. Not sure the TSA will like my metal Addis on an aircraft<G>.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
deann
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Tntgin4118 View Post
I have a set of the Denise Interchangables and used them a LOT until I started trying to do magic loop. The cables are just too stiff (IMO) for that. But for $8.... yeah, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I found a really good deal on a used set of AddiClicks (Lace) and those work nicely for me on magic loop. I'm sure I'll still use my Denise set too. It all depends on what I'm knitting and where. Not sure the TSA will like my metal Addis on an aircraft<G>.
Same here. It is impossible to do magic loop knitting with these. The "cords" are too think and stiff. I think that is why I had to tug on them so much to get the knitting up and around the needles.

I bought a set of 15 bamboo circs on amazon.com for only $24. I work them a lot and I LOVE them. And some of them aren't sharp enough but I used a nail file to sharpen the tips of them.

Anyway, my denise ones are now collecting dust as the only method I use in the round is magic loop.

Dont feel too guilty, if you knit a lot it pays to have tools that work for you and that you enjoy!!
deann is offline   Reply With Quote