Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
kbabij
Casting On

Convert a crochet to a knit??
Hi everyone!!

I am BRAND new here so I hope y'all don't mind helping a newby. What an amazing resource this site is, I can't believe I didn't know about it until now!!

There has been a pin floating around Pinterest that has caught my eye. Except, it's for a crochet pattern and I am a TERRIBLE crocheter.

What I'm wondering is... would there be an easy way to convert this to knitting? Apparently it's an incredibly easy crochet pattern but I literally don't even know where (or how!) to start with a hook.

What do you all think?? Can this be converted to an easy knit pattern? OR am I going to have to finally learn to crochet once and for all if I want to make these?

(Oops, apparently I can't post the link in here... I'll post it in a comment right below.)
kbabij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
kbabij
Casting On

Here's the link!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...192;topicseen#
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
It's really not easy, if not impossible, to convert a crochet pattern to knit. Stitches are different and gauge is different. There are lots of knit patterns that are a similar shape though and you can find them with a textured stitch. Or if you're comfortable with pattern design you can maybe do that, too.

Do you need patterns knit flat and seamed for straight needles or can you knit in the round?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
kbabij
Casting On

Okay! Thanks Jan & Sue! That does help me knowing conversion is nearly impossible.

Jan: I MUCH prefer knitting on circular needles... is that what you meant by knitting in the round? (Sorry, I'm really not up on my knitting terminology -- I'm getting back into it after a number of years away.)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Well, you can knit flat with circulars, but when you join the sts to make a tube, you're knitting in the round.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

If for some reason you can't knit this up the way you want it, you should definitely try the crocheted version. It looks like it's basically just one stitch around and around and around--a single crochet. And crocheting in the round is much easier than knitting in the round (semantics wise--as in, you don't need multiple hooks to "hold" your stitches).

Good luck!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah, it's hard to change one to the other because the sts are different. You can do something the same shape, and a similar texture though. They're done using 2 strands held together and the equivalent of a size 11 or 13 needle, or you could use a bulky yarn. There should be a few patterns for socks or slipper socks (also sometimes called house socks) and if you did them in seed or garter stitch or with the purl side of stockinette facing out could be a similar texture.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote