Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Gra13
Casting On

Need help reading pattern,beginner knitter
Hi all,

Im new here, knitting my baby daughter a jumper, and am stuck on the pattern..Im knitting a jumper, and Im on the back, near the neck..
this is for 4 different sizes, my size is the 2nd size...

the instruction reads...
Next Row. P2[4:4:1], inc in next st, (p3, inc in next st) 0
[0:0:1] times, p4, inc in next st, (p3, inc in next st) 0 [0:0:1] times, p2 [4:4:1]. 12 [16:16:20] sts.

This is my first knitting effort since school...I really dont get what to do..I understand how to read my size...so I purl 4, then do I add a stitch? inc in next st...I dont understand this bit? then it says 0 times..? so does this not apply to my size? then again I purl 4 ( I get that) and again I increase in next stitch?? not sure what to do...add a stitch? then purl 3 & again inc ?? again 0 times?? so do I ignore this instruction? then purl 4. then just 16 stitches at end, I presume I just purl these???

Please, any help greatly appreciated!!!!
Gra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
Next Row. P2[4:4:1], inc in next st, (p3, inc in next st) 0
[0:0:1] times, p4, inc in next st, (p3, inc in next st) 0 [0:0:1] times, p2 [4:4:1]. 12 [16:16:20] sts.

You'll P4, increase in the next stitch, p4, increase in next stitch, p4.

You're supposed to have 16 stitches when you're done. That's what the 12 [16:16:20] sts. means.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Gra13
Casting On

Hi Ingrid,

tanks so much for your quik reply...thats great, so i just purl4 & add in a stitch, & repeat this 3 times...til I have 16 stitches instead of 12...will do it when I get home from work..tanks again so much...
only new to the knitting, and never read a pattern before...
really didnt understand the 0 times instruction!!!

tanks again so much for your help..!!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
The 'P4, increase in the next st' only repeats twice. It's just as Ingrid wrote it out:
"You'll P4, increase in the next stitch, p4, increase in next stitch, p4"
You should have 14sts on the needle before the row begins and finish with 16sts.
There are videos for various increases under the Free Videos tab at the top of the page, Increases.
Good luck finishing up the sweater!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Gra13
Casting On

Absolutely correct, my counting mistake....
tanks so much for your help & tip on the videos...
its great watching the jumper come together...
A quik question, to you pro knitters,
Im sure youve all done jumpers before,
this is a baby jumper, with 3 buttons opening on the top of one shoulder, & a short rib neck,

for shaping the top, Ive put 2/3rds of the knitting on a stitch holder & knitted the part that will have the button closing.
then I transferred half of what was left onto a stitch holder & am knitting the opposite side of the jumper (if you understand me)

Im left with the middle section of the back of the jumper, (about 14 stitches on a stitch holder)..
the the pattern moves onto the front...I tink it comes back to this section later under neckband....

does this happen normally...just Im terrified something might happen & the sticthes fall off when Im knitting the front,

would it be that this part on both the front & the back of the jumper are eventually knitted together?? Just I never did a jumper before..

sorry for the long explanantion....hope you get what I mean..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,836 Posts
This is a very nice way to shape the neck and shoulder for a baby sweater because it leaves plenty of room at the neck to get the sweater on and off without annoying the baby. The ~14sts that you're holding out will indeed become part of the neckband along with sts from the front and perhaps some sts that are picked up on the neck edge of the shoulders. I don't see how the sts would come off the stitch holder but if they do, just put them back on. You're the boss. I sometimes use a length of scrap yarn as a stitch holder because it's more flexible. If you knot the ends of the scrap yarn, the sts will have nowhere to go.
Love to see a picture of the finished sweater if you'd care to post one.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote