Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
susianna
Ribbing the Cuff

adding knitting onto ready-made clothes
In one of my knitting books, it mentions knitting on to clothing, for example to make it longer (and maybe prettier with lace?) Does anyone know how to do this? And, does the piece of clothing have to be a knit piece? Any ideas to knit on decoratively? (bobbles,etc.)
Thanks much!
susianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
There are patterns for lace trim that is sewn onto fabric like this one on Ravelry. You could search for knit trim or edging there for more. And there are patterns for girls' dresses like these with a knit bodice and fabric skirt.
http://www.knotions.com/issues/summe...irections.aspx
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ummer-sundress
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
TEMA (10-22-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

You could

1) knit the piece/extension separately and then sew it on or
2) Hand stitch a row around the edge of the garment with desired yarn by hand, which is then used to "pick up" sts and knit directly onto the garment from there. This requires you to known your knitting gauge before hand so you know how many sts to space around the garment's edge.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
TEMA (10-22-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
susianna
Ribbing the Cuff

Salmonmac, what excellent information.....I haven't clicked onto those sites yet, I'll do it later tonight, tho. Thanks for getting my imagination rolling in that direction! It's funny, sometimes we can read a bit of this 'n that, (knitting related, of course, and in this case your this 'n that!) and suddenly our minds expand and make connections to other ideas. That's how it works for me, anyway. Maybe I'm just weird.

Rochester, Thank you, I never would've thought of that! I'll probably make the extention first then sew it on, since I'm newbie-ish and not good with gauge from a free design perspective-at least that's what I'm thinking. From one of my knitting books, she gives two easy formulas.....it's basic math, super easy, you just plug in the numbers (sts per inch, how wide you want your piece to be in inches, etc) and you can find out things like how many stitches to cast on for your project, how to figure out the width will be.....wait, this is more for designing your own project, because she states "now of course if you're knitting a project from a book,etc., you'll use their gauge numbers." So, I can do this, or at least give it a try. So double thanks on your ideas!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
susianna
Ribbing the Cuff

Salmonmac, I took a peek at those two websites and got some ideas from the girls' dresses. For the first one with the bodice and the fabric skirt, I think I'll make a shorter skirt by knitting it in the round, possibly with an eyelet stitch pattern; I have a lovely knit sleeveless top in a charcoal gray that I can sew it onto; the top is too short, and adding a short "skirt" would be the ticket. Of course I must measure and get gauge (a simplified way to get gauge I read in one of my knitting books which is thorough and easy! I just explained this to Rochester.) Not sure about which stitch pattern to use....any ideas? And any color suggestions?

The second pattern, the "sundressy" one with the criss-cross halter attached, made me think of a saucy little black tank, complete with tie-ups up the bodice. (Think shoelaces going up the front of the chest and ending at the top where you tie a bow.) Again, this is to short, hence it hangs eternally in my closet. I don't wish to make a halter, but I wanted to add some pizzaz to my top. The straps are 1/2" wide, and I think I'll just make single bobbles the length of the straps. For the bottom of the top, I think I'll make an extended edging, possibly the Seaweed Fringe (from the book Stitch Library by Claire Crompton- I can't say enough about this book!)
So those are my ideas I got from those websites-thank you, thank you!!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,973 Posts
You're filled with ideas and I like you're thinking! The eyelet pattern is always nice, delicate and just lacey enough. I'll bet the girls have decided preferences on color. Good luck with your additions and modifications. Post some pictures if you'd like when you finish.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
susianna (10-24-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Yes, I'm doing this right now. I have a nice down jacket that I got from a thrift store for $10. Unfortunately, it didn't come with a hood. I measured around the collar and I'm making one now to attach to the coat.
susianna (10-24-2012), TEMA (10-22-2012)