Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Nmunro
Casting On

Pattern help
Hello there
I'm new here.

I want to knit my first hat but the pattern I want to do is calling for use of straight needles and I want to use fixed circular needles. I don't like the seam you get when you sew flat pieces up.
The pattern calls for 9mm needles (size 13) basically I want to know if this pattern can be done in the round as it is without me needing to change it and what size circular needles will I need?
Thanks

HAT
Cast on 56 sts.
Rows 1-26: Work 26 rows in k2, p2 Rib.
Row 27 (Dec Row): *K2, p2, k2, p2tog; rep from * across row 49 sts remaining at the end of this row.
Row 28: *K1, p2, k2, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 29 (Dec Row): *k2, p2tog, k2, p1; rep from * across row 42 sts.
Row 30: *K1, p2; rep from * across row.
Row 31: *K1, k2tog; rep from * across row 28 sts.
Cut yarn, leaving an 8 in. (20.5 cm) tail. Thread tail through sts of last row and pull tightly to secure.
Nmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Basically, you can just work it the same - 56 sts works for k2 p2 ribbing in the round or flat. Follow the decrease rounds exactly the same, first decreasing in every other purl rib, then a round with no decs, then dec in every other knit rib. You might want to do another dec round however, 28 sts on size 13s are quite a few sts. At that point you have k1p1 ribbing and can just do another plain round after row 31, then a round of k2tog leaving you with 14 sts which you can fasten off.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Nmunro
Casting On

Right thanks I think I can follow that! the extra row you suggested the decrease round of 2tog is it just 2tog all the way round or k1 k2tog.

Also 56sts don't seem like much I just knitted a headband on the same needles and It took 74sts but I'm planning on using a thicker wool for the hat. Will the guage be different? It says this in the pattern:

11 sts + 12 rows = 4 in. (10 cm) in K2, p2 Rib. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

Sorry for the millions of questions I think I'm confusing myself!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
For the final decrease round, k2tog all around is a good idea because it will take you down to 14 sts as Sue mentioned. That's a reasonable number of sts to fasten off (and if it seems like too many, immediately do another k2tog round which takes you down to 7sts).
A gauge swatch is a good idea since you're changing yarn. That way you won't waste time knitting a hat that's the wrong size. Even in the stratchy k2p2 rib, it'll still be a help to you.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, with the heavier yarn and large needles, 56 sts should be enough. The 11 sts in 4" should get you a hat just over 20" around. Though it's given for the rib pattern which should be stretched a little to measure which is always tricky.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Nmunro
Casting On

Great thanks Ill add on the decrease rounds, I've never done a guage before do I just do it on the circular needles and not join the knitting? My first headband could have fitted my 11 year old niece so I know I'm going to have to do one!
Now that I've moved on from scarves and fingerless gloves its getting so complicated.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
There's a video on the Getting Started page for making a circular gauge swatch.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...r-gauge-swatch
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote