Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
vvs
Ribbing the Cuff

Changing the Pattern from 3 mts to 1 year
hi,

I want to do this Christening gown for my daughter but this pattern is for 0-6 months and i want it for 6m-1yr or infact a little bigger coz kids grow out the dress quickly.

http://www.geocities.ws/jewedyknit/tapestry.html

Question:

Can I simply double the Cast on sts from 93sts to 186sts, Will that work?
2. For the Bodice when it measures 3" they asked to Cast off center 11sts, So now I will have to bind off 22sts right?
3. They asked to dec 1st at neck edge every other row, 3 times, So for me it will be 6 times right or 3 times?

This is the 1st time I am altering the pattern and they have not given any directions for 1year old..

Help!!!!

Thanks
Regards
VVS
vvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A 1 year old is not twice the size of a 3 mo old. Kids grow very little widthwise, they get taller faster. You can see from this size chart, that there's only 2" difference in chest size.

You can use a little larger needle and heavier yarn, that could work though you'd need to check your gauge divided into the stitches at the chest to see if that's large enough.

After you work the skirt, there are decs to get the number down to 55 sts which would be 11" in the pattern gauge. You could do less decreases so you end up with 13" which would be 65 stitches. You would need to add about 2-3" to the length (probably 3" because of skipping some of the dec rows) which can be done by doing extra rows where it says "work in stockinette stitch until piece measures 18 inches or desired length." You'd want about 20" if you want to make this a long dress. If you want a short dress, don't make it as long, maybe only 14" or so. Then begin the decreases. This would probably be an easier way to go than changing the number of stitches or the yarn/needle size.

Last edited by suzeeq : 11-03-2012 at 12:05 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
vvs
Ribbing the Cuff

hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am getting the correct guage of 5sts = 1" and I am using Worsted yarn instead of Sport and US 7 Needles.
I saw the chart and it says the chest for 3mts in 16", 6mts is 17" and 18" for 1 year. The pattern however says the dress will fit from 0-6mts old baby.. but I want to make it for 12mts.

I understood about the length which i can surely increase to 21" however the Chest measurements are questionable.

As per the Chart 11" will fit only 0-3mts baby.. So shall i start the pattern with 93sts and when I come to the bodice I will decrease to 90sts (18")...

Can you look at the pattern and guide me where the numbers need to change and do i need to change the armhole?

This is very confusing...
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
I don't claim to know a lot about this but from looking at the pattern, the bodice seems to be a fairly simple repeat of the rows. If you swatch and see how the pattern works out, maybe adding a repeat in the bodice would give you the added width you need. If so, you could add that many sts to the skirt, inc or dec for the right number for the pattern at the bottom. Just a thought. If it's reasonable maybe someone who knows more can let you know. If not, please someone say so!

It's a beautiful dress, I can see why you'd like to make it work in the size you need.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
I think that sounds like a good idea. Try the Slip Stitch pattern and see what gauge you get in that and then you can set the number of sts for the bodice measurement that you need.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Remember you're working the front and back separately, so the 11" is one half the finished measurement of 22". The size chart is the actual body measurement, so you need to add about 2-4" to that so there's some 'ease'. Garments aren't tightfitting, especially for babies or children. The armhole would need to be knit longer is about the only change I think you need to make for the Bodice.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
vvs
Ribbing the Cuff

hi,

Thanks everyone for replying even on a weekend. This is what I have understood from all the above post.

1. I start with CO 93sts as suggested
2. I do the length of 21" instead of 18"
3. For Bodice: Decrease to 64sts and instead of 54sts and after the eyelet row will have 65sts instead of 55sts.
4. Shaping Armhole: Follow the pattern as is by bind off 4sts next 2 rows, then dec 1 st each side of next 3 right side rows.

Question:
Q1. What should I do to this:

When Bodice measures 3 inches from eyelet, bind off center 11 sts. Working each side separately, dec 1 st at neck edge every other row, 3 times. (12 sts) Work even until piece measures 4 inches from eyelet. Bind of rem 12 sts.

Q2. How to correct this:

Split Back for button/buttonhole bands: Work across 25 sts in Slip Stitch pattern, then k5 for buttonhole band (these 5 sts will be knit on every row). Leave remaining unworked sts on needle to be worked later. Continue shaping same as for Front, omitting neck shaping, and binding off when back bodice measure 4 inches from eyelet.
For other side, cast on 5 sts (these are the button band, and are knitted on every row), then work Slip Stitch pattern across remaining 25 sts. Shape same as other side, reversing shaping.

Q3. How to correct Sleeves: howmuch should I pickup.
Sleeves:(are worked from the top down)
Pick up 48 sts along one armhole edge. Turn.
Purl across 20 sts, place marker (pm), purl into front and back of next 8 sts, pm. Turn.
Working in stockinette stitch, work to marker, remove marker (rm), work one more st, pm.
Continue is this manner, working one more st at the end of every row, until 6 sts rem unworked at each side.
On next two rows, work 2 extra sts.
On last 2 rows, work last 4 sts at each end.
Work 2 rows even.
K2 tog across next row. (28 sts)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
For the bodice, you'll probably want to increase the size (depending on your gauge) but since the bodice is in Slip St pattern you'll need to increase in multiples of 4+3. So you could increase to 67sts or 63sts from the 55 given in the pattern (after the eyelet row). Follow the armhole shaping but perhaps extend the decreases for a row or two more. For the neck shaping, bind off more sts at the center neck and perhaps add in another decrease row at the neck. Finish with the shoulders a little more than 12sts wide, maybe 14 or 15sts. How much more depends on your gauge and the child's measurements.
You'll be able to shape the back using the shaping on the front as a guide. Leave the 5sts for the button and buttonhole bands. That should be fine.
You'll have to pick up more sts for the sleeve depending on the measurement around the armhole. I'd err on the side of too wide a sleeve rather than too tight.
You might also look for another baby dress to use as a guide for the measurements at the bodice, neck and armholes. Good luck with this project!
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote