Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Bubina
Casting On

New Member with some Questions
Hi everyone, I'm so happy to find a knitting forum! I've been knitting for about 25 years, on and off. I also like crochet.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I like to create my own designs on graph paper, one box per stitch, and use this technique for both simple and elaborate designs. I'm unsure if I'm doing the right thing with all the tails when I bring in a new colour or finish another. I will often be working with 4+ colours in a row. I leave the tails long, tie two together so my work won't unravel, then leave the tails hanging and weave them into the work after. Is this the best method or should work the tails in as I carry yarn from one part of the garment to another? Are the knots necessary?

2. As you can imagine I end up with quite a big tangle on the wrong side of my work, with so many different threads! I didn't find anything at my LYS to use as bobbins to keep my yarn in order... any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Ali
Bubina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I'm not sure if you're working the colors in blocks of sts or in more of a fair isle pattern. In either case there are videos that may help at the top of the page under Free Videos, Advanced Techniques. i've heard of people using the little plastic tags that are used to seal bread loaves as bobbins but I bet you can find some larger bobbins for sale online, maybe Knit Picks or LionBrand.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Bubina
Casting On

It's more like fair isle than colour blocks.
Bubina is offline   Reply With Quote