Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
katiecp
Casting On

Pillow ideas for seniors?
I want to make a pillow for my 95 yr old grandma to use at restaurants or the beauty salon. There are a couple of important features that I would like some help with:
1. I want some way to attach it to her walker while she's walking (I was thinking a strap with large finger-friendly snap)
2. It needs frills... that won't fray, will lay flat (to sit on) and are washable (I thought maybe some lacework using crochet thread)

I haven't come up with a solution that's just right... does anyone have any ideas?
Is there a better way to connect it to her walker or something easier to manipulate than a snap?
Also, where should I look for lacework edging designs?
Thanks for your help!
katiecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

1. I want some way to attach it to her walker while she's walking (I was thinking a strap with large finger-friendly snap).

Velcro! Velcro is much easier for elderly people with arthritis, muscle weakness, poor eye sight, etc (not that your grandmother has all or any of these). But, velcro is fast and easy.

2. It needs frills... that won't fray, will lay flat (to sit on) and are washable (I thought maybe some lacework using crochet thread).

-Place a ruffle around the edge. It won't be sat on/cause lumps (for this reason I would avoid cables ON the pillow)
-Use intarsia or fair isle to make a colored/decorative pillow rather than a one color pillow
-Make a two sided pillow. Two different colors/motifs so she can decide which side to sit on depending on her mood.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Stripes would also work for color and be nice and easier if you're not experienced. Lots of ways to incorporate them.

For the frills picking up stitches around a finished pillow is probably the easiest.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
What a thoughtful idea! Maybe it would be a good idea to attach the pillow to the walker with 2 straps so it's not free to swing around so much. Or you could sew or purchase a modified tote bag to attach to the walker. The pillow could slip inside the bag and that way it wouldn't need its own strap.
There are books of edging patterns available at the library and many online.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote