Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
gonzales1219
Casting On

new knitter a little confused
Hello to all,

I stated knitting a doggie sweater and I've asked questions before bit I've come across another stump on the road. i don't understand what this means:

Begin on wrong side of row, work 2" in stocking (stitch from bound off stitches, )ending with right side facing for next row.

The part in parenthesis it what is confusing me.. The previous instruction stated to Knit 11 stitches, bind off 10, k80, bind off 10, and Knit to end of row. (this part is supposed to be the beginning of a leg opening)

So i guess my question is, what do i do with the first 11 stitches and what do i do with the part that was bound off? A little confused.. :(
gonzales1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
Begin on wrong side of row, work 2" in stocking stitch (measured from bound off stitches, )ending with right side facing for next row.

It may be a case of a misplaced parenthesis or two. What it means is to work in stockinette for 2" measured from the bound off sts. Usually with dog sweater patterns you work each area, the 11sts, the 80sts and the last 11sts at the same time with 3 separate balls of yarn. After working 2" you end with the right side facing and knit across with only the first ball of yarn, casting on 11sts at the places where 11 were bound off. That makes 2 small open squares for the leg opening and joins the 3 sets of sts.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Here's a video you might want to watch. This is crochet, but it will show you how to make a simple dog sweater. This is a rectangle. You measure the dog's neck. Cast on that number of stitches and just knit a rectangle until it reaches the length you want. You sew up one or two inches at one end for a turtle neck collar. The rest drapes over the back of your dog or you can attach ties or buttons to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVnUsDx6Mw&feature=plcp