Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
lalalalalalaaaaaa
Casting On

Help!
Hello everyone! I'm very new to knitting, and so far I've only ever knit a simple brioche stitch scarf. I'm trying to knit a vest, and I'm afraid I've run into a little problem with understanding the pattern. Here are the first few lines of the pattern:

Cast on 123 sts.
Row 1: K1, [p1, k1] to end.
Row 2: P1, [k1, p1] to end.
Rep the last 2 rows 11 times more and row 1 again.
Inc row: Rib 28, *M1, [rib 1, M1] 5 times, rib 16; rep from * twice more, M1, [rib 1, M1] 5 times, rib 27. (147 sts)

When I try to do the inc row my stitches don't add up - I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because I'm sure I'm following the pattern to the T! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
lalalalalalaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,189 Times in 2,693 Posts
Hi. Welcome to Knitting Help. What is your stitch count after the inc row? Can you link to the pattern?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Yes, a link to the pattern or even the pattern name is always helpful.
The row totals 147sts when you count up the sts given. There are 24sts increased and when you add that to the 123 cast on, that's 147 also. Are you getting more stitches than that or fewer? How are you doing your increases? A M1L would work here and it may make it easier to keep track of your sts since it increases between stitches. If you use an increase in a stitch like a knit front and back (kfb), be sure that you don't count both the increase and the original stitch as part of the increase.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
How are you increasing? A m1 is not the same as kfb, youjust lift the yarn between stitches and knit into it tbl. And rib 28 or rib 1, means to work that many sts in the kp rib pattern, not do 28 ribs (which would be 56 sts and not work out).

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

You're at the top of the ribbing, adding stitches to the first row of the body, or back or side, right? As someone already said (I can't see the posts while I'm typing, darn it!) make sure you're counting the stitches and not each rib. Sometimes it helps to draw what you're trying to understand. You could do a standard knitting chart, or you could use K and P and M, or you could draw hearts for the knits and dashes for the purls--whatever works for you. Once you see it in front of you, it'll make sense.

I'm not a big fan of writing "rib 28". I know that's in a lot of patterns now, but "work 28 stitches in k1p1 ribbing" just makes more sense to me.