Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
allsturns
Casting On

How do you pick your knits?!
Hi guys,
My first post Anyway, I'm a new knitter, taught myself last year with a series of youtube videos and have since knit 4 scarves, 4 Christmas stockings (in the round) and a pair of slippers (on straight that required seaming). I feel fairly confident following patterns, or going off doing my own thing and have used cables etc.

Not being a fan of seaming I've decided that each of the kids will have a sweater (yes you guessed it...4 sweaters) but they will be knit in the round and I don't mind if it's top down or bottom up construction as have viewed videos on both and at the moment feel fairly confident that either will be ok.

My big problem is actually finding a pattern. There's just too many out there (paid and free) so have decided to kind of design my own using bits I like from various patterns. Am I being too adventurous in this and should I just follow a single pattern to the last?

I have all my measurements for the kids and have worked out in my head and on paper how I would go about adjusting patterns to fit my own gauge (as opposed to my gauge to fit the pattern) as the kids have already picked what type of wool they like etc.

My eldest daughter has chosen a fairly chunky wool and wants a jumper/dress the youngest has chosen a dk wool but style is completely up to me.

Obviously as it's my first attempt at jumper knitting I want to get one under my belt as soon as possible - Which do you think will knit up quickest, or which would you choose to knit first - the chunky jumper dress for a 26" x 29" dress or a dk in 22"x17"

If any of you also know of any chunky dress style patterns (or jumpers that I could just knit longer) that are knit in the round I'd love to be able to show them to my daughter to see that we do indeed both have the same style in mind!
allsturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's a couple of sweater pattern generators out there where you put in your gauge and the finished measurement you want and it makes you a pattern. You can adapt them to v neck or a cardigan as well as a pullover.

http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html
http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/topdown.guest.cfm
http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/1823 is a top down yoke rather than raglan.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

I would go with the chunky yarn first because it won't take as long to knit as the garment in DK yarn. My first garment was a zip-up cardi in chunky yarn, and it went very fast; thus, minimizing the possibility of working on a "never-ending project" as my first one.

I would recommend inserting life lines when you get to the trickier sections of your sweaters. That way if you mess up or don't like your design ideas, you can rip back and try again (provided your yarn isn't all snarly from the ripping and retrying).

And as for this being too adventurous--says who? My recommendation is to try it. You can always come here and ask for help if you get stuck, and besides, you never know what you can accomplish until you try. If you get frustrated to the point of ripping your hair and everything else out, then reboot and start with a simpler written pattern.

We'd love to see your finished objects, so please hang around and post some pictures when you're done.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
allsturns
Casting On

Hi both and thanks for the replies.

They seem to be great links and I'v actually started my first jumper (but from a pattern as it was just too cute not to!)

Will certainly post some pics as it comes along.

One question - what do you mean by lifelines and how do I do them? They certainly sound handy!

For info the pattern I chose was the DK one for the youngest daughter in a hot pink colour DK; http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...op-with-cables
It's knitting up fairly quickly now that I'm used to the pattern - (Only took me 200 rows haha) so I'm approx half way around the top bit which I plan to join using buttons and then pick up my stitches to do the bottom bit -but plan on going longer for a dress style as she looks so cute in that look with a pair of leggings. Perhaps once I've finished all 4 jumpers I can go on to do her a pair of leggings with a cable down the side (by which time she'll have probably outgrown this sweater lol)

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far. I love this forum!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
allsturns
Casting On

Progress so far https://twitter.com/allsturns/status...903232/photo/1

Sorry about photo quality - took on my phone!

Feel free to follow me on twitter for updates @allsturns but will post here while I remember to!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,373 Times in 3,056 Posts
That's an adorable pattern and you're making great progress. Good color choice, too.
This pattern may work very well without a lifeline but one is especially helpful if you're doing a lace pattern or a pattern stitch that is difficult to rip out and restart. Here's a video to give you the idea of how to do it. Good luck with the rest of your projects!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Antares
Working the Gusset

Oh, the hot-pinkiness of it all--especially for little girls!

It's looking great so far!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
allsturns
Casting On

Yay, just finished the yoke Gonna put it down now until the kids have gone to bed.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
You're making great progress. Love the color. It will be very sweet on your little girl.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
allsturns
Casting On

Was without electricity for 2 hours this morning while they upgraded my circuit board...Guess what I spent that time doing...Yes! The body.

After 2 failed attempts at picking up the correct number of stitches (I just kept miscounting argh) I have now worked a whole 4 rows of the body and can actually start to see the pattern forming. Go me!

Will update with a picture later as now the lecci's finally back on I really do need to get the hoover around and get something in the slow cooker for tea!

Good luck with your own projects today guys...My recommendation is to turn the electric off for no distractions!!!