Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
rebotco
Casting On

Help w/ a Christmas stocking pattern
I have never knit a Christmas stocking or a sock before and have gotten to the end of the turning the heel section and am very confused.
The instructions read "Row 3: Sl 1 as if to purl, p to 1 st before gap made by sl st on last row, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 4: Sl 1 as if to purl, k to 1 st before gap made by sl st on last row, ssk, k1, turn.
Rep Rows 3 and 4 until all sts have been worked, end with RS row - there are now 12 sts for the heel. Note: On the
last 2 rows there will be no heel stitch to work after the p2tog or ssk.
Next Rnd (RS): K across heel sts; with same needle, pick up and 9 sts across side of heel flap; with needles 2 and 3, k
across 24 top of foot (instep) sts; with needle 4, pick up and 9 sts across other side of heel flap and with same needle k
across 6 of the heel sts - 54 sts at the end of this rnd."

I repeated rows 3 and 4 and ended up with the proper number of stitches (12) after completing a row 4. Now it says to knit across these heel stitches but my next row needs to be purled. What have I done wrong? The pattern even says that you should end with RS row, wouldn't that be a row 4, knitting row? Then says the next rnd is (RS) knit. Should't it be purl??

I'm sorry this post is so long! I really appreciate any help! Thanks so much!!!
rebotco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Was this worked in the round before the heel instructions? You go back to that here. Notice it says 'Next Rnd:' not Row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
rebotco
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Was this worked in the round before the heel instructions? You go back to that here. Notice it says 'Next Rnd:' not Row.
thanks for responding suzeeq! Yes, I was working in the round (knitting each round) before knitting the heel but after knitting the rows for the heels back and forth on two needles I have ended up with my working yarn on the wrong end. If I begin working in the round now I would need to purl instead of knit in order to continue in stockinette stitch. I don't know if I should have ended on row 3 instead of a row 4 or what I did incorrectly
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes, it said to end on the RS row, which would have been row 3. So you'll have to take out Row 4 then begin working in the round again.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
rebotco
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes, it said to end on the RS row, which would have been row 3. So you'll have to take out Row 4 then begin working in the round again.
If I take out Row 4 then I will have 13 stitches instead of 12. I need that row to get to the proper number of stitches. Maybe I did something wrong further back and just need to start over.

I didn't know that row 3 was a RS side row so that is very helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Oh wait, stop. I was wrong, I didn't read that carefully. Row 3 is a purl WS row, 4 is the knit RS row. So you should be good, ending with row 4.