Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Ergonomic Crochet Handle
When I started knitting I soon found out it is easier on my hands than crocheting and haven't really crocheted since. I kept thinking I would try one of the ergonomic handles but never really wanted to order online then find out it wasn't what I wanted or needed. Last night at Walmart I saw one. I can crochet again! Whether I will do much crocheting is yet to be seen, but the test drive with the handle showed me it won't bother my hands as much. My DD who has rheumatoid arthritis really can't crochet anymore and I want her to try it too. I got the Boye brand for $5.97 because that's what was in the store; it has washers for adapting to the different size hooks B through K and the handle is easily changed from one hook to another. I expect other brands are similar. I thought I'd share this for anyone who might find it useful either for yourself or for a friend or loved one.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I crochet so rarely I just have the old metal ones, but I think my friend has these and loves them. She says they don't hurt her hands.
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Sof...rochetHks.html

I didn't look up yours so they may be similar.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Here's what I got

http://www.createforless.com/Boye+Ya...FYp_QgodclsAiw

I can use the same handle with different hooks, it's big and egg shaped.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
MGM
Turning the Heel

Thanks for sharing this information on this product! I've always wondered if those would actually make a difference. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and when it is acting up, I cannot hold a crochet hook for very long. I might have to invest in one of these!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

MGM, I was very skeptical and wouldn't order as the only ones I'd seen were rather more expensive. I haven't actually started a project but I did do some fdc and a few rows and was really amazed at how easy it was to hold. It feels a little awkward, but as with anything, getting used to a different way of doing it takes time. I didn't need grip it so much as just hold lightly. I'd say if you can get one locally where it's easy to return...that's why I was willing to buy it at Walmart...give it a try. The handle feels kind of rubbery, soft yet firm. I think that it will help me. My problem is my hands stiffen up so much they hurt and I just don't know when to quit. I'm going to have to try it with somehting a bit more involved than just dc though. If you try one, let me know what you think. My DD is interested in trying it, I hope we can get together soon for her to do so. She is the one I've been looking to buy one for. I'll keep mine. If she likes it, she'll get her own. Added bonus: you'd only need one and you can change the hooks. I think keeping the washer adapters on the hooks will be the best way to keep from losing them and they'll last longer with less wear and tear removing and replacing them. The smallest fits B through D and would have to be changed from one to another but I rarely would use smaller than F, smaller than D is even more unusual.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MGM (12-08-2012)