Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
ChristinaMmm
Casting On

I'm new at this, please help
I am working on the third piece I've ever knitted and the pattern is pretty simple but for some reason mine looks nothing like the picture. This is for a simple neck warmer:

1 pair 24 size 11 needles
Using 2 strands of yarn, CO 25 stitches.
Row 1: *K1, P1, repeat from * to end.
Row 2: Knit.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until piece measures 15-18 (For a snug fit, stop at 15).
BO all stitches.

I knitted about 20 rows and so far it just looks like a thick seed stich scarf on one side and knit on the WS. Attached is what it's supposed to look like:

I've never knit in the round before and I'm using the circular needles as if I'm knitting on straight needles - is that what I did wrong? Can someone please help me figure this out?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	neckwarmer.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	56279  
ChristinaMmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Using circular needles flat won't affect it. It would be much better if you posted a picture of your knitting though. This is a broken rib pattern and the picture you posted does look sort of like seed stitch. You should be able to see purls on the WS. Maybe you can wet it and lay it out to dry and that will open up the pattern a little.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
ChristinaMmm
Casting On

Thanks! I will do a few more rows and post my pics. I was so confused because my seeds look so much bigger than the pic in the pattern and I wasn't seeing purls on the knit side even though I used to same yarn.
ChristinaMmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,262 Times in 2,754 Posts
If you are knitting in the round, you are knitting with your stitches joined and producing a tube. If you are using the circular needles as straight needles and knitting flat, there should be no difference from when you use straight needles.

I think that this pattern will produce something like a seed stitch. As long as you are following the pattern as written it should work out. Different yarns will produce different stitch definitions and if you are using a different yarn, that could be part of why it looks different. Could you possibly attach a photo of your knitting? That could help figure out what, if actually anything, is wrong.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote