Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
myjoyoverflows
Ribbing the Cuff

Yarn/Pattern Question
I have a request for a pair of socks for Christmas and I don't have the time to get to the store to buy any yarn other than what I have on hand. I mostly have Caron Simply Soft. Is this yarn considering fingering or worsted? I'm a little bit confused. I've been looking on Ravelry for a pattern and it has Fingerling/ 4 ply; is that what Caron Simply Soft is?

Sorry for the simple question, my mind is just going nuts thanks to everything I have going on. Thanks in advance!
myjoyoverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Simply soft is a light worsted, but still twice as heavy as fingering/sock/4 ply yarn. Most patterns for worsted use size 6s and there's several patterns for worsted, but know that these will be much thicker than regular wear in the shoes socks and are better suited for slippers or boot socks. So if the request is thinking of socks for wearing inside shoes, you may have to get thinner sock yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
myjoyoverflows (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
myjoyoverflows
Ribbing the Cuff

Just for socks to wear around the house and to bed. What size yarn would that be considered then? Worsted/ 10 ply, DK/ 8 ply, Sport/ 5 ply????
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

A worsted/10 ply. As I said, most patterns use a size 6/4mm needle for this weight, some may use a 5 if they want them really densely knit, but may not be needed for house socks.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
myjoyoverflows
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much! I didn't mean to sound ignorant or to ask such a simple question. I always appreciate the quick answers I receive here! This forum is wonderful!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Ignorant simply means something you don't know, and how else are you going to know if you don't ask. We welcome questions around here, and will happily supply the information to help if we can.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Antares
Working the Gusset

For "around-the-house" socks, you should be fine using worsted or light worsted (Caron SS).

I just made a pair of socks using this video series: (note: this is just the first video in a series of 6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSFaGpmVSw

She explains things really well (and she follows Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's sock recipe to a T); however, you're also supposed to buy her sock pattern to go with the video. It's $8 if you want to go that route.

BUT, she gives you almost all the information you need to make the sock in the videos. The only part that I couldn't understand from the videos was turning the heel. For that, I used the instructions from this pattern (with a few minor adjustments, like what side to start and stop on): http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...r-first-timers.

By the way, this pattern and the videos are for worsted weight yarn. You might want to use the written pattern to make sure you get the right gauge.

If that combination doesn't appeal to you, look up sock patterns in aran or worsted weight yarn on Ravelry. Be sure to choose your yarn weight in the category on the left.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Are you totally new to socks? Your best bet is worsted weight yarn, so you're good there. There is another thread about socks and I posted several links there. Here's the link: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111341 I'm a toe-up kind of knitter, you'll undoubtedly notice the bias, but whichever way you decide to do them, good luck. You don't need to pay for a video tutorial either, you'll probably come across that in one of my links.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
myjoyoverflows
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm not 100% new to socks. About three years ago I knew a few pairs, but it's been a while and isn't totally fresh in my mind.