Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
paparazzimama
Ribbing the Cuff

Gaps with short rows
Working a pair of longies and I keep getting a gap on my second hip where I do a wrap and turn. For some reason the first w&t looks great but the second one looks extremely loose. I've tried pulling the wrap tighter and I've tried knitting the next stitch tight and I've tried knitting the next ROW tight. None of them help. It's not like it REALLY matters since they're just for my own boys but I'd love to find out what I'm doing wrong or a trick to make it look better.
paparazzimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Is this one on the purl side, the other on the knit side? Maybe watching a video of how to pick it up would help. I'm not having any luck finding a good video myself, maybe you can. I use the German short rows method and find the problem with holes isn't such a problem for me and they show less.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
paparazzimama
Ribbing the Cuff

It's in the round and yes, it's the one that I'm wrapping on the wrong side before I turn back aroundvandvstart knitting again. It calls for a short row yarn over but I couldn't figure it out by the directions so a friend of mine made a video for a wrap and turn. Thought I was following it correctly but maybe not.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I've not done w&t in the round myself. I find w&t to be tricky at best. You said it's not crucial that it be perfect on this project so I'd say try not to worry too much and look into how to do it better next time. I gave up on w&t in general because I couldn't get a result I was pleased with. Cat Bordhi has some different ways of doing it, I couldn't find the videos I was thinking of though.

*thinking* I do short rows for sock heels, so I guess I've done short rows in the round, but I don't do the w&t and the short rows are worked flat anyhow. Are the short rows for your project, in effect, worked flat?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
paparazzimama
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm gonna go with 'no'? LOL! I don't think they're worked flat. You just do one short row for every eight rows knitted to add some room in the rear for a cloth diaper. I'll just keep pluggin along and hope to figure out the other way sometime.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Can you link to the pattern? My curiosity is getting the better of me and I want to see if I can tell how it's done.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
See if this tutorial helps with the short row from the purl side. Even thought you're knitting in the round, a short row on the knit side followed by a short row on the purl side will mean that you're knitting flat at least for the stitches on the short row. I haven't tried the short row with the yarn over but you might try it once without the yarn over and see if that helps eliminate the hole.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

This is similar to what happens when you knit socks. When you are done with the W&T's and go to join it in the round, you will find holes in the spaces on each side where you've rejoined your yarn. The patterns don't tell you this. It's a little knitter's trick. Pick up a few stitches in this gap on each side. On the next round or two, decrease these stitches until you're back to your original stitch count. No more gaps.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

These gaps are going to be on the left and right sides of the wrap and turn section you just completed right before you start to knit the stitches you left on hold. I pick up stitches on the left side gap and knit around on the hold stitches. Pick up more stitches at the end of the hold stitches/at the right edge of the WT section. Knit across the WT section. Then I decrease the picked up stitches until I'm back to my stitch count and keep knitting around for the specified pattern. Hope this is clear to you.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

*thinking* I believe you'll do a k2tog right slanting decrease on the left side of the WT section and an SSK left slanting decrease on the right side of the WT section. Correct me if I'm wrong fellow KHers. I knit Eastern European so I have to do a little adapting here and there.