Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
MrsBknits
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Novice in need of help please!
First of all, I'm new to this site, and to be honest relatively new to knitting, so hello!

I was gifted a lovely knit the nativity book for christmas by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd make an early start for next year (there's a lot of parts to it, so it may take me some time!) but I've already encountered a problem..

here goes..

if I have 29 stitches and then work the following row, how many stitches should this leave me with?

(yrn, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, y.fwd, k1) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3 ?

the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total, which suggests the row before gives 28 stitches, but I'm not sure how?? I must be going wrong somewhere as I seem to be gaining stitches Should y.fwd give me a stitch? I thought it just meant bring yarn to front of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
MrsBknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MrsBknits View Post
First of all, I'm new to this site, and to be honest relatively new to knitting, so hello!

I was gifted a lovely knit the nativity book for christmas by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd make an early start for next year (there's a lot of parts to it, so it may take me some time!) but I've already encountered a problem..

here goes..

if I have 29 stitches and then work the following row, how many stitches should this leave me with?

(yrn, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, y.fwd, k1) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3 ?

the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total, which suggests the row before gives 28 stitches, but I'm not sure how?? I must be going wrong somewhere as I seem to be gaining stitches Should y.fwd give me a stitch? I thought it just meant bring yarn to front of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I must be counting it wrong 'cause I can only make 20 stitches out of the row you listed. the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway ) but I think the yrn will... like a YO would. But you also have a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso) in the same repeat and another one at the end of the line. So...

I'll be interested in seeing the answer to this one too.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
MrsBknits
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I must be counting it wrong 'cause I can only make 20 stitches out of the row you listed. the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway ) but I think the yrn will... like a YO would. But you also have a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso) in the same repeat and another one at the end of the line. So...

I'll be interested in seeing the answer to this one too.
Glad I'm not the only one confused by this!
MrsBknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, I end up with 28 too. Is there a k1 before the first repeat? Or there should be another yo at the end of the row.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yep, I end up with 28 too. Is there a k1 before the first repeat? Or there should be another yo at the end of the row.
So I AM counting it (WAY) wrong... but I'm still not seeing where.

yrn +1 (1)
k3 +3 (4)
sl1, k2tog, psso -2 (2)
k3 +3 (5)
y.fwd +0 (5)
k1 +1 (6)

doing all that twice yields (12)

then
y.fwd +0 (12)
k3 +3 (15)
sl1, k2tog, psso -2 (13)
k3 (16)

Even if you added one for the y.fwd's that still only comes out to 19. So what am I missing?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A yo or yrn or yf doesn't use a stitch, it's just a wrap around the needle, then you go on to the k3 or single k1. So your stitches would be -

"yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1, yo k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3"

The yo isn't counted as a stitch, but adds one which is offset by the decs. There's the problem - there's 3 double decs (-6 sts) and 5 YOs. So either there should be another yo, or the very last dec is either a sl1, k1, psso or k2tog, but not a double dec.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
There's the problem - there's 3 double decs (-6 sts) and 5 YOs.
Glad to know I haven't completely lost the ability to add short columns of small numbers...

I think GG's got the 29th one sorted. It happens with the YO at the beginning of the next row.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
MrsBknits
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That makes sense, but then why the hell do I only seem to have 1 stitch left to knit at the end of the complicated row instead of 3??? Arrghhh! I'm still going wrong!!
MrsBknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,660
Thanks: 1,701
Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,286 Posts
I also counted 28.

" the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway )" I believe the yfwd is an inc (more or less a yo), and wyif just means bring it to the front w/o an inc.

"the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total"
With 28 sts from the previous row the yrn before purling the rest of the sts will bring the count 29.

That's how I figure it works.
__________________
~ GG



You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I also counted 28.

" the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway )" I believe the yfwd is an inc (more or less a yo), and wyif just means bring it to the front w/o an inc.

"the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total"
With 28 sts from the previous row the yrn before purling the rest of the sts will bring the count 29.

That's how I figure it works.
I figured the yrn on the next row would add one to whatever the listed row was too, but then I started adding up THAT and I can't make it be 28. Then again, I figured yfwd was just bringing the yarn forward between the needles, so what do I know?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novice Knitter Needs Help celaeno General Knitting 13 01-12-2012 02:19 PM
Help Novice Knitter LMCGA How-to Questions 4 02-06-2011 10:57 AM
novice knitter - (inc in next st) help claire82 How-to Questions 7 10-26-2009 09:51 AM
novice sewer sylvia How-to Questions 2 07-17-2009 11:15 AM
continental novice needs help! kmmknit How-to Questions 6 01-02-2008 02:53 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.