Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Jinxie
Casting On

Staying Organized
I did a search before starting this post, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I've been knitting for over three years, and realized just today that I've got WAY too much. There's just so much of it, it's hard to keep it all in one place.

A while ago, I picked up an Artbin Hook & Needle Case, which has worked excellently until recently. Now there are just too many needles to fit. Come tax time, I'll be picking up a set of KnitPicks interchangeables, but I don't think I'd want to just throw away the fixed circs I've got...

I have an entire picnic basket full of yarn, not including whatever's on needles at the moment, and it's a pain to dig through it whenever I want to start something new. The same goes for the nest of circulars in zip-lock bags. Next week, I'll be picking up a closet-bar shoe organizer to stuff all the skeins of yarn into; I'm sure that'll be a huge help.

Anyway, how do YOU stay organized?
Jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,557 Posts
You have one picnic basket full of yarn? Just one? I've acquired at least that much this year. Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help, it's not in my DNA to be organized. Seriously, I am trying to get organized, just haven't made it yet. I read threads about being organized in hope that somehow, someway, something will take root and I'll actually get there.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Whoa... Only one picnic basket? Just how big is the basket?? I have a glass fronted cupboard and one closed cabinet I keep some in, a rolling cart and multiple bags for the rest. I do need like it organized so I need to start working...

My needles (all circs) go in an interchangeable needle case. My other knitting supplies are in a zipped bag in my main knitting bag.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 01-14-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You have one picnic basket full of yarn? Just one?
Ha!
This topic is always on my mind.
My organization is sort of shame-based right now. My stash occupies several largish plastic bins with pull-out drawers that I keep in the guest bedroom closet (and one spooky box stashed behind my couch). I hate digging through them and the bins are big enough that I can't see everything in them but they still won't hold enough yarn for a sweater. So I've just ordered this Five Tier Storage Organizer from Patternworks for only $9.99 (). It hangs from a closet rod and looks like it will be easier to root through, though I can see the cats trying to climb in it. I've never really had knitter oriented storage before so I'm really excited to see how it works for me.
What I really wanted was this Stitcher's Closet. It also hangs from your closet rod but its $42.99 and so I decided to give the smaller one a go first. I also really want the circular needle storage tacked on the side of the Stitcher's Closet.
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
So I've just ordered this Five Tier Storage Organizer from Patternworks for only $9.99 (). It hangs from a closet rod and looks like it will be easier to root through, though I can see the cats trying to climb in it. I've never really had knitter oriented storage before so I'm really excited to see how it works for me.
I have one of these. I had to take it down because of a cat. It should be okay as long as you keep it in a closed closet. Cats should never be around yarn anyway. Hint... Don't put put WIP in it unless they are in a bag...the needles can get stuck.

The other things just look like sweater organizers I've seen at Target.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Rie (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I have one of these. I had to take it down because of a cat. It should be okay as long as you keep it in a closed closet. Cats should never be around yarn anyway. Hint... Don't put put WIP in it unless they are in a bag...the needles can get stuck.

The other things just look like sweater organizers I've seen at Target.
Thank for this! Yes, I've never had open storage for yarn before, so I definitely need to make some closet changes. My youngest cat loves to take naps in there and she can open the door. I already keep the stash in ziploc bags to thwart moths but I still foresee trouble.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Only one small thing? I have one plastic footlocker full and then some. I threw some of it out because it smelled like smoke and I didn't want to deal with it. I quit smoking almost a year ago and wanted to start fresh with new yarn.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I quit smoking almost a year ago and wanted to start fresh with new yarn.
Congratulations on quitting smoking!
I quit seven years ago and boy was it tough. I think I was grumpy for at least a year. Knitting is what got me through it.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

I keep needles and accessories in a project tote. It's not a great system, because a lot is just thrown in. Only the straight and dpn needles are in the outside pockets, and if I loose the needle sizer, I'm kind of screwed. I have yarn in plastic bags separated by weight. All this is on my "knitting stuff" bookshelf.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 View Post
I keep needles and accessories in a project tote.
That is a great price on that tote! Gosh, I want one!