Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Round Sizing
Hello again everyone. I'm back with another question. Before you ask, my scarf is coming along very nicely. Since frogging it the other day I've gotten it almost a foot long. And 5 color changes.

I've also started another project, this one is inspired by the posting from fatoldladyinpjs about the Solders that knit.

I've decided to do the watch cap but with slight variations. I'm going for 2 tone black and white with black being the bulk of the project with 3 parallel white stripes wrapping halfway round horizontally. That's not my problem. I've working using DPN's never done it before and last night I sorta figured out working DPN, and got my cast on onto my 3 needles. My issue though is the sizing looks off. I followed the pattern for the cap using 108 stitches divided up between 3 needles, but it's looking a bit small.

Tonight I can post a pic of where it's currently at for some feedback as far as stitch spacing goes for casting on. Where it's at now though the hole looks barely large enough to fit a toddlers head. Possibly 4 - 6 inches diameter.

As always I appreciate your input.
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
What size needles and weight yarn are you using? Is it the recommended gauge for the pattern? If even one of those is different it can affect sizing.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

I'm doing a watch cap right now on four dpns and it's 112 stitches so not much removed from yours. I have heavy weight yarn (possibly Arran, it's hand spun and doesn't list the weight), and 3.5mm dpns. It's a k1p1 rib so will be very stretchy.

Best thing to check is yarn weight and needle size.

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Something else just occurred to me, though it sorta falls into that "Is it plugged in?" category. But it occurs to me that with a scarf, checking gauge isn't all that important, so you might've skipped that step. But when you're trying to get something to be a certain size, you can't really do that. The pattern you're using will say 108 stitches, but that's predicated on a certain number of stitches per inch, and if you knit tighter or looser than that 108 stitches for you won't be the same size as 108 stitches for somebody else, given the same yarn and needle size. And the variations can be significant. (A lot more than you'd think.)

So you want to knit a swatch using the yarn you're going to make the thing out of, measure 4 inches and count the number of stitches you put into those 4 inches. Ideally you'll measure it in 3 or 4 different places and take an average (especially if you're just getting used to DPNs). For the sake of completeness, you'll usually check the number of rows (or rounds, in this case) in 4 inches, but that's probably as critical for this project.

Also, when the work is still on the needles, it's GOING to look smaller than it actually is. On the needles, your stitches are turned so they're perpendicular to the needle. Once they're OFF the needle, they're gong to rotate so they're in the plane of the fabric. And that's going to make the piece a LOT bigger (maybe as much as double, depending on the yarn/gauge).
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
The vast majority of hats I make I use US 7 needles, worsted weight yarn and I cast on between 72-80 stitches. Obviously that can change if I use a different weight yarn. That's why I asked about specifics as well.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
The vast majority of hats I make I use US 7 needles, worsted weight yarn and I cast on between 72-80 stitches. Obviously that can change if I use a different weight yarn. That's why I asked about specifics as well.
Which only underscores the point about different folks having different gauges. When I made the Raspberry Beret, the band was 74 sts... on US 9 needles and two strands of worsted weight yarn. Which gave me about a 22" circumference. (Yeah, my stitches were... ahem... a little tight.)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Needles are size US 5 and yarn is #4 pattern called for those netting around 5 - 5 1/2 stitches per inch.

The actual pattern, https://sites.google.com/site/hbmprintablepatterns/cap
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
You might want to see if you can get at least a rough gauge count with the needles and yarn you're using. Those needles seem small for that yarn, at least to me. Maybe the yarn they're referring to is on the skinny end of the worsted range. I'm using US 6 with Lion Brand Pound of Love and getting about 5.75 sts/inch. This yarn is skinny compared to other worsteds I've used.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah, unless you're a loose knitter, that seems like it's going to be too tight. If you are getting 6 - 8 sts per inch, it's much much too small. If you use a size 6, that should get you the 5 sts per inch the pattern calls for - 22 sts/4".

I don't know why you seem to want to use the size 4s with the #4/worsted weight yarn. You would normally use a size 7 to 9 with that yarn. The hat is knit denser than normal, so using a size 6 would help.

And if you do tend to knit tight (garrote the yarn) then a size 8 would probably do better. Don't pull on the yarn after you've made the new stitch and pulled it through the old one. It'll probably seem weird and loose to you, but making the next stitch will tighten up the previous one. Practice this on some other yarn or with your gauge sample. Tight stitches make it hard to get gauge and is very hard on your hands after a while; knitting should be easy and relaxing, not tense. Even stitches will actually happen when you relax your tension after a little practice, then washing the finished item evens them out further.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Antares
Working the Gusset

Here are a few things to consider: 1) Are you stitches squished up on the DPNs so they won't slip off? If so, then you're not seeing the actual size of the hat, and 2) the hat will stretch, of course; that's what the ribbing is for, but it may very well be that it's too small.

You might want to knit a swatch in the round (video here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...r-gauge-swatch) to check your gauge. HOWEVER, hats are usually such smallish projects that it's almost not worth knitting a gauge swatch because if you're unhappy with the size, you can usually start over quite easily. That's just me, though. You may find it more efficient and less frustrating to just go ahead and knit a gauge swatch and then do your hat based on it.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote