Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

FO: Patterns? Patterns? We don' need no steenking patterns!
Okay, so the next time I say "Who needs a pattern for that?" somebody remind me about this.

A bit of background. A good friend of ours frequently brings ponies into the conversation at random, but usually in discussions of things we'd like to have ("And I want a pony also, too!"). Without getting too far afield of the knitting part of the story, she recently quit smoking after ... I'm not sure how many years, and is approaching her 28th day. This, my friends, is a big da*n deal as anyone who's ever quit will tell you. So Wendy and I decided that if there were EVER a time that she should get that pony she's always talking about, this was it. But we didn't want just any old pony... oh no. We wanted an extra sparkly pony! And frankly, most of the patterns we found were pretty boring (and involved a lot of sewing... as toy patterns tend to do). So we mated a sock to an eggplant (like ya do) and created a psychedelic pony... named Madge. Which will NO doubt be a part of our shared lexicon until the day we die.

The problem with just making sh... stuff up is that it never quite looks the same in the world as it does in your head. Plus, if you're a little fuzzy on the details of how a horse is put together anyway you may wind up with something that more closely resembles the love child of a pig and a sheepdog.

Nevertheless, it turned out to be quite the... thing. And as a bonus I got to try out W&T short rows which prepared me for... not making socks at any point in the near future. It also used up two skeins of Encore chunky in a log forgotten colorway that were hanging around just waiting for a stash buster like this to come along.

You get a better sense of scale from this angle with the seat/railing of the deck in the background. This? Is no small pony. Two full skeins of Encore plus the extra for the "leg warmers" and hooves and decor, and 2+ bags of polyfill. (Which led to conversations like: How'd you spend your weekend? Stuffing fluff up a pony's butt.)

The "presentation" is scheduled for Wednesday evening when we meet our pal for dinner. And yes, we WILL make her let Madge sit beside her at the restaurant. We're even contemplating asking for a booster seat.

But next time? I'll find a pattern I can dress up.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
This is great! And your descriptions always make me ROFL....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

Well! Madge certainly deserves a BADGE, and so do you and Wendy for your perseverance . . . and creativity . . . . and resourcefulness . . . . and for keeping your sense of humor. She's a keeper, that's for sure! I bet your friend will have no problem showing her off to everyone who comes along! It'll be all smiles all day!

Thanks for sharing the back-story, too!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,783 Times in 7,146 Posts
OMG I love it!!! You are hilarious!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
This is great! And your descriptions always make me ROFL....
We finished the last of it yesterday afternoon and every time one of us happened to look in that direction we'd double up laughing. In a way it was a lot like working on Bantamime, The French Hen... the closer she got to being complete, the funnier she got. And by the time Wendy was putting the "feathers" on the hooves, neither one of us could stop laughing.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,698 Posts
What a way to commemorate a very special occasion. The pony is cute, interesting, creative...most of all unique. Well done. Pat yourselves on the back. I'm sure this is a creation that will be cherished.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
nonny2t
Instepping Out

First off, congrats to your friend for quitting smoking! Your pony is very umm colorful! lol
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Absolutely love it!!! I'm sure your friend will be delighted to receive such a lovingly made gift. I can't quit smiling just thinking about this colorfully( is that really a word?), well thought out(?) gift for the great accomplishment of quitting smoking. Please let all of know what she says when you present it to her.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,469 Times in 3,145 Posts
With Madge to help celebrate, who could ever think of a going back to smoking? What a wonderful reminder and great gift from very good friends. Enjoy your dinner together and don't forget to include the pony in the reservation.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Olha
Turning the Heel

Awesome! I like the "fluff" part