Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

FO: Angry Birds Hat
So my grandson, who'll turn three next month, is crazy for the game Angry Birds. The story goes that he even fixed the internet connection on his mom's phone once when he was 2 so he could play. So what do you give a 3-year-old gaming superstar? (It's a rhetorical question.)

Unfortunately, the only kid sized mannequin available for a photo op had a head that wasn't exactly head-shaped. So the hat is stretched over a block-shaped head with Bart Simpson hair... which would be fine if it was a Bart Simpson hat (hmm...) But hopefully you get the idea. Perhaps when the hat is unveiled Young Sir will consent to be photographed in it and I'll get a better shot.

Anyway, the particulars are that the yarn is mostly Plymouth Encore Chunky, with a touch of Cascade 128 Superwash (left over from the Question Everything Hat) for the beak. Needles were my trusty Hiya Hiya US 10 circulars (except for the eyebrows, which I did flat on Clover US 10 DPNs). The pattern is... not so much. Funny story, that. There was, once upon a time, a pattern on Ravelry and I was hot to buy it because it was better than any of the others I'd found. But nowhere on the Ravelry page was there a link to be found or any other indication of how one might purchase this fine knitting pattern. So in the fullness of time (actually just a couple of days) I emailed the designer to inquire as to its availability. And regrettably, the makers of the Angry Birds video game took exception to this work and not for nothin' would they license it for sale. So what you see here is a reverse engineering effort done from the photos from Ravelry along with whatever other graphics I could find. Which means I can't tell you how I did it because (a) Big Brother at Big Video Game Company would probably send Green Pigs after me and (b) I honestly can't remember because I was winging it (pun intended). But in a general way...

For the most part, it's just your basic beanie until you get to the bottom where the white part starts. I'd never done intarsia in ribbing before... or actually at all except for one other time. Feathers on the head and the tail are done in Magic Loop sort of like you'd do the fingers of a glove. The beak is just a basic cone stuffed with polyfill and the eyes and eyebrows were done flat and sewn on with black yarn (so as to get the outline around the white). For sizes you can use the usual size charts for hats... I shot for 16" for this one and based the gauge on the finished dimension I was going for. (Yes, I know that's doing it backward, but if you don't have a pattern to begin with does it matter?)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MerigoldinWA (03-10-2013), offgridgirl (03-18-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,646 Posts
OMG that's great. You'll be a hero.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
That's a fantastic hat!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
aprilbetty
Knitting the Flap

An amazing hat!! Thanks for the details.
aprilbetty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

A true one-of-a-kind masterpiece for a huge little fan--and may the Angry Bird folks find something else besides THIS to go be angry about!

Bravo, Mojo, goodo jobo! (Sorry, it started and I couldn't make it quito! STOP it!)
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
A true one-of-a-kind masterpiece for a huge little fan--and may the Angry Bird folks find something else besides THIS to go be angry about!

Bravo, Mojo, goodo jobo! (Sorry, it started and I couldn't make it quito! STOP it!)
Quote:
There was, once upon a time, a pattern on Ravelry and I was hot to buy it because it was better than any of the others I'd found. But nowhere on the Ravelry page was there a link to be found or any other indication of how one might purchase this fine knitting pattern. So in the fullness of time (actually just a couple of days) I emailed the designer to inquire as to its availability. And regrettably, the makers of the Angry Birds video game took exception to this work and not for nothin' would they license it for sale.

Rovio was brilliant to give away a game that became a craze and then cash in on the marketing that it created though I suspect there was a fair bit of luck involved as well. It seems to me that you can make Angry Birds items as much as you want as long as you don't sell them; you can give away patterns and the things you've made as long as no profit is involved. I guess if someone wanted to put together a kit and sell the yarn but included the pattern for free it might be allowed. Selling the pattern would be the big no no. Copyrighting an Angry Birds pattern wouldn't be possible either. At least there can't be a copyright infringement for you to deal with. Just never, ever sell an Angry Birds item. Could you charge for your time to make it? I'd seen that pattern and considered buying it but had figured out that selling the pattern was going to be a violation of something and didn't even try. I wonder if the Angry Birds folk will frequent craft sales and such to watch for someone to pounce on.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
asmp
Casting On

angry bird
Love it, 200 % angry bird Your grandson will wear it 24/7. If my younger son would wear it too, he's in his 30's
asmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Oh my oh my!!!! Just adorable! Great work!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I don't know anything about angry birds except for a few obstreperous hummingbirds I've seen at feeders and some grouchy sea gulls (well maybe a few others). The hat is very clever and certainly has the angry look. I hope the Angry Birds people don't get too angry, or if they do that at least they can't do anything to you about it.