Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Help for viral pharyngitis?
I've had a killer sore throat since Saturday. It is not strep, MD thinks it is viral pharyngitis in response to a nasty cold that is going around. It could take 10 days to get better. The pain I am having rivals when I had my tonsils out a few years ago and then I was given Rx pain meds.
MD offered me codiene but I won't take that while breastfeeding. Salt water gargle helps for about 3min and warm liquids are tolerable - almost. I am breastfeeding so I have no choice but to keep eating (may never eat yogurt again) and drinking.
Anyone have any suggestions?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
I've had some bad sore throats but don't think I've ever had that. All I can think of is chicken broth. I sure do hope it's better soon.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

This sound like what my husband and I experienced in late Feb. We were sick for almost three weeks. My tonsils were removed when I was 16 (now 55). My throat was red, raw, and sore just as they felt as if I had the strep throat again. Along with this we also had horrible coughing fits that left the muscles under our rib cage feeling as if they had been torn, we also had flu like symptoms, fever, weakness, headache. We are finally over it, but our voices are not at their best. I think it mostly settled on my vocal cords. I can talk OK but I can not sing. We provide the special music in our church. I still cough from time to time also. I don't know what we had or if it was a combination of stuff, but we never want to experience it again. I hope you feel better soon. I breastfed our babies so I know the added strain that an illness has on you when you are nursing. One good thing about our sickness was we still had a small appetite and thank God we did not have vomiting and diarrhea. If we had, I don't think we would have survived.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lighting57 For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
That's awful, I've had those bad sore throats, too. Fortunately not while breast feeding as I recall though.

What about Cepacol cough drops? They have benzocaine which numbs the throat. What I've done is suck on it till its numb, then wrap the drop up in the wrapper till I need it again. It lasts longer that way and you don't need the whole thing.

I also drink a lot of ice water just because it feels good on my throat. Drink before the drop though or the effect might not last long.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Unfortunately, not a lot is going to fix it. I use hot tea with as much sugar (not artificial sweetener) and lemon as I can stand. The heat helps with the soreness. The tannic acid in the tea is supposed to reduce swelling, as is the lemon juice (bonus points for the antiviral action of vitamin C.) The sugar drawn fluid from the swollen cells. The effect only lasts a few minutes at a time, so if the phone rings and you gargle a good slug of hot tea done this way you can finish a call before it starts to hurt again.

If your doctor says Tylenol or Advil are all right, those help, but not as much as they do on anything else sore. I get good results from Ricola cough and throat drops, though not everyone does. Mostly you have to wait for the virus to get done and leave, which is a pain in the neck...literally.
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Ladyofblades
Casting On

Southern remedy
My mother told me about a southern remedy that may help. Heat up Dr. Pepper for about 45-50 seconds in the microwave and sip it. Not sure if it will help but I hope it does. Hope you feel better soon.
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Teaspoonful of honey. Also, hot lemonade w/ ginger, honey.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
I hope you're getting better. Because your breast feeding I didn't suggest garlic before but if it doesn't bother the baby, garlic is generally good for you. Any time I could manage to get hot tea with lemon and honey down, I figured I needed it. I can't stand sweet tea and I'm not fond of honey anyway. This would be a good time to indulge yourself in popsicles. Any sleep you can get is good too.

ETA: I found a recipe for a Salty Garlic Gargle! If you're brave enough to check it out, you'll have to scroll down to find it. The best part of this might be that it will keep everyone a good distance away from me if I use it! LOL Seriously, it just might help and be worth the social consequences.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 03-15-2013 at 09:40 AM.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Thanks for all the suggestions ! I am feeling better as long as I keep drinking. Still can't tolerate too much texture in my diet and the middle of the night is still rough. I tried just about everything you all suggested. As much as I dislike honey - hot tea with honey was the best.
My throat actually got so raw with this that my upper pharynx was bleeding and the worst of the pain was blood clots running down my throat. I would not wish this on anyone.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote