Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
kcastle
Casting On

Confusing pattern instructions?
I bought a wool diaper soaker pattern and ran into a confusing section on short rows. I understand how short rows work, so that's not the issue... I'm just wondering how to interpret the last instruction in the section -- either repeating the short row pattern, or ending the section and moving to the next.

Here's what the finished product should look like:
http://www.closeknitstore.com/diaper...r_soakers.html

It's knit flat and I'm working with 46 total stitches. Here's the text in the pattern.

"Short row shaping:
K30 (32,36,40). Slip the next stitch purl-wise. Move yarn between the needles to front. Slip the same stitch back to the left needle. Turn, bringing the yarn to the purl side. P22 (22,26,30). Slip the next stitch purlwise. Move the yarn between the nee-dles to back. Slip the same stitch back to left needle. Turn, bringing yarn back to purl side. K 23 (23,27,31). Continue in this pattern until all stitches are back in use."

Am I being daft, or does "continue in this pattern" seem to mean to repeat the shaping rows somehow? However, the only thing that makes sense when I'm actually on the row is to continue knitting to the end of the row (finishing short rows and moving on to the next section in the pattern). I have no idea what "until all stitches are back in use" means. Are two short rows enough to make a difference in the shaping of the back of the cover?

Thanks in advance for your help!
kcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
Hi and welcome to Knitting Help and the wonderful world of interpreting patterns.
The pattern is to increase one stitch in each row before doing the wrap and turn for the short rows. So for the smallest size, p22 this row, then k23 on the next and the pattern would continue with p24 on the row and k25 on the next, p26, k27 etc. Each row increases one stitch until all of the unworked sts have been incorporated into the pattern.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
kcastle
Casting On

Thanks so much for your reply. I did increase by one stitch (from 20 stitches across at the narrowest point to 46 now -- I'm doing the large size) in each row BEFORE arriving to the short row shaping section.

Then, with 46 stitches, I followed instructions to K36, slip/turn, P26, slip/turn, K27.

Do you mean that I'm somehow supposed to include the short rows WHILE increasing by one stitch?

Your explanation totally made sense until "Each row increases one stitch until all of the unworked sts have been incorporated into the pattern."

Thanks for your patience.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,835 Posts
Ok now you're at the short row shaping.
"Short row shaping:
K30 (32,36,40). Slip the next stitch purl-wise. Move yarn between the needles to front. Slip the same stitch back to the left needle. Turn, bringing the yarn to the purl side. P22 (22,26,30). Slip the next stitch purlwise. Move the yarn between the nee-dles to back. Slip the same stitch back to left needle. Turn, bringing yarn back to purl side. K 23 (23,27,31).
So on the next row you would p28 w&t and on the next row k29 w&t, p30 w&t, k31 w&t, p32 w&t, k33 w&t, etc, until you've incorporated all the unworked sts. I don't mean to increase any sts over the 46 you have now, just work one more stitch before the w&t in each row.
kcastle (03-24-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
kcastle
Casting On

Wow. That still totally confused me until I just took your word for it and started. Suddenly, when I was on the 2nd short row with stitches on either side, I had my "ah ha!" experience. Thanks so so much for your help.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,321 Posts
Don't ya just it when it comes together? That's happened for me with help from here more than once!

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote