Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

boye cords
Hi all, my motherinlaw gave me an old boye set of needles, is there anywhere i can order flexible cords for them? Here is what she gave me-
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080222.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	56531  
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Don't think so. Most interchangeables do not work together. You could use them for flat knitting maybe.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,295 Posts
Your photo looks as though you have the cables that go with the needles. Are you wanting different cables or do you need to get replacements because some are missing? http://www.simplicity.com/c-475-need...ent-parts.aspx

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

yes, i have the cables, but good grief they are stiff!! was wondering if they are replaceable, i have my dreamz needles and love the cable!
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,295 Posts
I just noticed you have Denise needles for sale. Yeah, their cables and Boye's... If they are special to you put them in a display case and admire them. They are pretty in a way. My Knitpicks cables and the ones I got from WEBs spoiled me for just about anything else.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
LongShanks
Ribbing the Cuff

With older Boye Needlemaster sets you have to be careful to determine if you have large screw connector or small screw connectors. There are/were adapters to go from small cable to large needles.

There is a group over on Ravelry that talks about converting to other manufactures cables or making your own.

I like the Boye needles and found that by gluing 2mm screws/bolt into the back of the needle heads they fit the Hiya Hiya cables very nicely. The HiyaHiya cables are very flexible.

Hear Hooves think horses.
LongShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongShanks For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-02-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I have an old set of Boyes too, and yeah, they're stiff! I love the flexible cable of the KnitPicks Options set, and the Addi turbos, and the Denise set (even though they're thicker, they're very flexible!).

LongShanks, that is quite something about modifying your Boye needles to fit the Hiya Hiya!
How do the Hiya Hiya cables compare to the Knitpicks Options?

GrumpyGramma, which set from WEBS do you have? I have a bamboo set from a few years back from them, and the cables were horribly stiff. Do they have new cables on their own set, or is this another manufacturer that you bought from their store?

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
I bought a set of these Boye Needlemasters a few years ago. My BFF has a vintage set and uses them almost exclusively, hours per day. I liked the finish on the needles so much, plus the great colors, that I bought then on a post holiday Jo-Ann's sale.

The only way I can use them when I need that Boye finish is to put the cables in boiling water in a dish, let them soak a while. It helps.

However, my cables are only two years old, relatively new. Maybe vintage cables are more brittle, less accommodating.

Have you tried the hot water soak?

My BFF doesn't keep her cables coiled up in the case unless she travels. Otherwise, she keeps them suspended, hanging, with a needle tip screwed onto the end. It minimizes kink/curl.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Antares
Working the Gusset

Oh, but Boye does have some different circular needles and cords. Check out the Artisan Multiwood Interchangeable Needle Set. I think they also have some new nickel-plated needles, too.

It looks like there's one negative review so far at Amazon, but perhaps that's just a fluke. At any rate, maybe Boye will take note of complaints and get this set in tip-top shape. I wonder if the cords for this set, which look more slender than the old cords, will fit the needles of the Boye Needlemaster. That might be a selling point for me in the future (after these have been refined a bit more).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (04-02-2013)