Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Lynseymac
Ribbing the Cuff

What knitting books do you own?
I think I may be developing an addiction! I know have three knitting bible/reference books. I also have Stitch N Bitch superstar knitting, and have just bought this beautiful book with the aim of mastering fair isle and knitting in the round.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-Ba...+balls+to+knit

I've got another two knitting books in the post. In fact, I think I spend more time looking at patterns and knitting books than I do actually knitting!

I've only been knitting for ten months and get a bit over excited about all the things I plan to knit. Now I've decided to learn crochet too my bookshelves will be heaving.......
Lynseymac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynseymac For This Useful Post:
vogsAbsedyves (05-21-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Principles of knitting
All of the yarn harlot books
Ann Budd's beginner sock book (dh is going to give me the master book for my birthday!)
Stitch n b***
Complete guide to needlework - reader's digest (1979ish version, found it in a thrift store.)
Vogue knitting
Last minute knitted gifts
Baby beanies
One skein wonders

Crochet:
50 fabulous crochet squares
200 crochet blocks
Crochet answer book
The granny square book
Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Lynseymac
Ribbing the Cuff

The Anne Budd beginners sock book is one of the ones on its way to me!
Lynseymac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynseymac For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-02-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
You can't go wrong by adding Knitting Dictionaries to your shelf! I bought a Mon Tricot Knitting Stitches Dictionary way back in about 1972...and still find uses for it in 2013!

Here is the current state of my Knitting Books collection, and assorted binders filled with patterns on Word or pdf! I reorganized my little knitting room a few years ago and took these photos.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
dalhousie
Casting On

Knitting Stitch book
I can't get out to the shops due to chronic pain & back problems so have to buy books on the net & was wondering which book(s) to go for. I don't want to waste my money as I'm unable to work due to my health issues. I'm newish to knitting but have done different knitting stitches in scarves. I already have "A second treasury of knitting patterns" by Barbara Walker but I was wanting to buy another book & was wondering which book to invest in as you can't see inside all of them on Amazon. Does anybody highly recommend one book in particular. There are loads of them out there. I saw this one on Amazon which has colour pics - Knitting Stitches Visual Encyclopaedia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitting-Sti...+sharon+turner

Also there is:

The Knitting Book;
Big Book of Knitting;
Vogue Knitting Stitchionary (Knit and Purl);
364 Knitting Stitches a Year;
The Knitter's Bible Stitch Library.

If anybody has recommendations of knitting technique books as I'm clueless about sewing garments together.

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by dalhousie : 09-07-2013 at 02:29 PM.
dalhousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by dalhousie View Post
I can't get out to the shops due to chronic pain & back problems so have to buy books on the net & was wondering which book(s) to go for. I don't want to waste my money as I'm unable to work due to my health issues. I'm newish to knitting but have done different knitting stitches in scarves. I already have "A second treasury of knitting patterns" by Barbara Walker but I was wanting to buy another book & was wondering which book to invest in as you can't see inside all of them on Amazon. Does anybody highly recommend one book in particular. There are loads of them out there. I saw this one on Amazon which has colour pics - Knitting Stitches Visual Encyclopaedia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitting-Sti...+sharon+turner

Also there is:

The Knitting Book;
Big Book of Knitting;
Vogue Knitting Stitchionary (Knit and Purl);
364 Knitting Stitches a Year;
The Knitter's Bible Stitch Library.

If anybody has recommendations of knitting technique books as I'm clueless about sewing garments together.

Thanks for any suggestions
I have an old copy of Vogue (circa 1989) that I see they've updated, but I still refer to it and think it's great. Everybody seems to like Elizabeth Zimmerman's books (she's a now deceased American knitting guru) but I didn't find enough visual stuff in it. Also, I pick up a lot of stuff from Knittinghelp.com's videos (thanks, Amy and Sheldon) and you can find thousands of videos on YouTube.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
artsy1
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 View Post
I have an old copy of Vogue (circa 1989) that I see they've updated, but I still refer to it and think it's great. Everybody seems to like Elizabeth Zimmerman's books (she's a now deceased American knitting guru) but I didn't find enough visual stuff in it. Also, I pick up a lot of stuff from Knittinghelp.com's videos (thanks, Amy and Sheldon) and you can find thousands of videos on YouTube.
are there any good basic books for continental knitters? i get confused very easy...
artsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote