Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Scelerata
Casting On

WIP - First Ever Project: Garter Stitch Scarf
So I just started knitting about a month ago, and after several failed attempts (one of which included me failing to notice the working yarn had gotten wrapped around the bottom of the piece until about ten rows later) and a week and a half period in which I basically gave up on the idea of ever knitting, I finally started this little number:

Sorry the photo's not so nice, my phone has a pretty poor camera. :c I think it's taken me about ten days of irregular knitting, but we're at very nearly an even five foot--I'm of the opinion that the best scarf is a long scarf--and I think I'm about ready to bind off and add the fringe. It's not the most even thing, sadly, but I'm really proud of it anyway.

The yarn's just some size 4 Red Heart that was super cheap at Walmart. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on nice yarn just to tear it up with my clumsy first attempts.

Edit:

I finished! I finished, I finished, I finished!

Disregard the ugly model (it's me), check out that babe of a scarf, hehe! I'm so giddy. I can't wait to give it to my friend this afternoon.

Last edited by Scelerata : 06-28-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: More pictures~!
Scelerata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Looks like you're doing great! I like the color!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Scelerata (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Scelerata
Casting On

THank you! when I finish it, I'm going to give it to my friend/professor. She pushed me through the period in which I almost gave up on it, so I figure it's the least I could give back!

They've got a really pretty one in a similar sort of blend that's just hues of pinks and purples I might sneak back and get because it looks like it's just too cute. I was already there this morning getting some white Caron Simply Soft for my next project and I talked myself out if it because it's just cheap, rough yarn, but I may cave; maybe use it to make a little circular scarf for when I'm riding my scooter, since it would just be exposed to the elements. That seems like a good use for low-end yarn, right?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Antares
Working the Gusset

Congratulations on your first finished project!

Good for you for sticking with it--for all five feet! You've done a great job on the scarf--it's very pretty, is a lovely colors, and has nice texture.

I think using cheap acrylic yarn for something that's going to face the elements is fine--especially when you're still just learning to knit. You're right: You can use more expensive yarn someday soon when you're more confident about your knitting skills. So as long as the acrylic keeps you warm (or serves your intended purpose) and is in colors you like, then that's a great idea!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,376 Times in 3,059 Posts
Excellant first project, successfully completed! It may be my bias but it almost looks like a shadow-knit double helix. Great color combination too. This Red Heart yarn may become even nicer and softer with a washing.
Congrats on persevering with your first scarf.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Excellant first project, successfully completed! It may be my bias but it almost looks like a shadow-knit double helix. Great color combination too. This Red Heart yarn may become even nicer and softer with a washing.
Congrats on persevering with your first scarf.

Shadow knitting looks like fun! I had to find a video for it. I'm going to have to try it soon. Thanks, slamonmac, for mentioning it.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
This is a beautiful first FO! Great color and nicely knitted.

Did you use RH SuperSaver yarn? I've used a lot of that. All those colors that are available right now really get me when I need a cheap yarn fix. LOL RH With Love is softer than SuperSaver, a little more expensive but still qualifies as cheap yarn and is available in the WalMarts around here. Vanna's Choice will have similar colors and still be fairly cheap but softer. You might also look at the cotton yarns in WalMart. I used the Peaches and Cream yarn that comes on cones to make an afghan (crocheted ripple) and even a couple of knitted sweaters. My DD and GD wear them and they just get softer with wear and are great for camping and stuff. They even like the way the colors fade. My GD wore hers to school and her friends asked where she got it so they could go get one. Just because you're looking to use inexpensive (isn't that better than cheap?) yarn doesn't mean you can't do some cool stuff. Have fun!

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

That is incredibly similar (even the colors) to my first project which was also a garter stitch scarf! It gives you a great feeling of accomplishment, doesn't it?
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Scelerata
Casting On

I did it, I caved and bought the purple yarn. It was just too pretty.

@salmonmac: Oh, hey, I can see it! I'd have never noticed that. Cool!

@grumpygranny: Yes, it was SuperSaver! I guess the word cheap does sound bad, haha. It's really not terrible yarn, but I think I'm a little bias after going on a touching spree down the walmart aisle. I want to make something out of the baby yarn, it's sooooo soft. Also, eyelash yarn looks so fun. Oh my gosh, and the homespun, I just want to use all the yarn. All of it!

@jinknit: A garter stitch scarf seems like a common first project. After all five feet I can sort of close my eyes and knit--although pretty slowly, haha. I sort of picked this yarn at random; after getting the wild hair to learn to knit, I went and got a little knit, and just sort of grabbed the first yarn that caught my eye. The colors are even prettier in person, the photo sort of washed them out. They're really vibrant.

Thanks everyone for saying such nice things! It's such a morale booster. I'll be sure to post a photo tomorrow after I add the fringe.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Artchic528
1st Leg of the Journey

I am working on the same sort of scarf for my first project. Only mine is in lilac. I am no where near done (gotten just a little over 8 inches out of 5' done so far). You've got me beat!! Then again, I knit at a snail's pace, doing a row here and a row there, then putting it down, only to pick it up later and do another few rows.

Oceanblue28 on Ravelry

So many things to knit, so little time!!
Artchic528 is offline   Reply With Quote