Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Finishing baby booties safely
Question here! I have been knitting baby booties lately, as there are 4 pregnant ladies at work. The cutest ones (booties, not PLs) are all embellished with buttons, bows, etc.

Maybe I am paranoid, but having worked in the emergency room I've seen some terrible things happen, and I was always scrupulously careful with my son Tom when he was a little guy. No strings on jackets, toilet seat locks, covered all the sharp edges, no window blind cords,no hard candies, cut his grapes and hot dogs into wee bitty pieces, you get the picture.

So I am not sure I like the idea of sewing a button on anything for a baby, even though it is cute and often finishes the piece off nicely.

What do you guys think? Should I just make a bobble and a loop closure or a short bow to tie? Am I being too paranoid?
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
I usually just make ribbed top booties and use color for detail then I don't have to worry about it. I guess a bobble would be safer than a button. Still gotta be careful they don't chew anything though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

That's kind of what I was thinking, but you see so many booties with really cute buttons. Then the pattern will say, of course, a baby wearing booties w/a button should never be left alone, should be supervised, etc., but in the REAL world (where people accidentally leave kids in hot cars) you never know.

I made one that has little yarn overs along the top and you thread a ribbon through it, doesn't work well for a boy, though.
In the winter here (Lake Tahoe) it doesn't much matter because they have real boots or a car suit on if they go outside, but inside they need little booties because it still can get cold. I just remember Tom had some from the Gap that didn't stay on no matter what, so I think he just wore socks!

I wonder if you sew tiny magnets inside the knitting or sew on velcro. Ribbing in light yarn may have to do though, and forget the cuteness factor.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I think a magnet would be just as bad. What about embroidering a "button" so it looks like a button, but isn't? Not sure how to explain.

My favorite booties for my kids were ribbed at the top and folded over and had little bobbles along the edge. These were small and couldn't be chewed off.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (06-30-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Jan in CA, what pattern do you use for your booties? The ribbed part sounds interesting. I've made some before with sewn-on I-cord but I'm always afraid they could get that off.
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
Jan in CA, what pattern do you use for your booties? The ribbed part sounds interesting. I've made some before with sewn-on I-cord but I'm always afraid they could get that off.
It's been a long time and I can't find the exact pattern, but they were basically socks with ribbed tops. Here's a few patterns I have, too. I'll look more to see if I can find the one I used.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
While Jan's looking.... I did a search at ravelry and these are just the free patterns! There are some adorable rib top booties.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Do you crochet? How to Crochet a Button

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Well, I DON'T crochet, but I have to start, because I have 2 pairs of booties that are finished except for the crocheted button (bobble?) loop. So thanks for the link. And I know how to embroider, and for that matter, I can needle felt a button on!! Hey!! I didn't think of that!!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Hmmm....the button crocheting link made my head hurt I may have to get my daughter to do that part. But, I also just remembered that I knit some tiny fish for a baby hat so they might work as a sort of button.