Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

WIP - leftover yarn - bracelets
Another thing I tried with my leftover yarn, was knitting bracelets. I figured this would be good for the real short leftovers

First: just braid - no knitting. I've worn 'bracelets' like this before, but I do realise that it is almost like walking around with just yarn wrapped around your wrist During f.ex. the Summer Olympics I had one braided bracelet in each colour of the Olympic Rings.

It was so long that it could go 3 times around my wrist. And then I had the problem I always have: how to tie a knot that doesn't losen all the time... Not sure, so I just put in a reef knot and wrapped it around a bit It hasn't completely loosened yet, but I did refasten it a couple of times.

I've worn it for 2 weeks straight but I wouldn't have done that if I had to dress up within that time.

Then I went googling to find some patterns. The ones I really liked and which are appropriate for the yarn thickness I was thinking of are these. However, I don't have those basic bracelets to put them around and to be honest I don't really like wearing them I do like the look of them though...

So I tried a (braided) cabled one but then whithout the inner plastic/wooden bracelet. And while the pattern said to just sew the edges together to create the round shape, I went for a button and buttonhole because
1) I can't really sew these cables together without getting annoyed by the seam I created
2) The bracelets fits tighter around the wrist this way, as it doesn't have to fit around the hand too.

And flat

I think I would wear this, just not right now as it is summer and it keeps one warm (like a wristband) Somehow I also think that the feeling of it is off when you wear this on a sunny day...

I then figured I could think up my own bracelet by using a different cable/lace pattern. I chose the Scottish Faggoting Stitch but it did not quite work out. It wasn't as "open" and neat as I hoped it would be and the edge of the bracelet curled. This looked OK sometimes (like a straight knitted edge) but not all the way around
And I tried my hand at the 3 needle bind off, but I think this was an unfortunate choice. The bracelet was way too loose anyway...

So I took it apart again

I tried some other things, but don't have time to post more right now. To be continued....
Old 07-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
Excellant! Those turned out really well and look good on your wrist. I like the idea of the Olympic colors, too.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I totally respect anyone who works hard to use up leftover yarns! It's a very Earth Friendly thing to do as well! Your bracelets are adorable. I'm especially fond of the cabled gray bracelet!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-30-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
sandylee222
Banned

These are perfect! I just can weave with thread.
sandylee222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sandylee222 For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (07-30-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been so busy (with knitting a.o.t.) that I haven't uploaded this thread for a while . Stupid, for now I really have to think back to recall what I've done...

After the failure of the Scotish Ajour Cable I did try another with a HaringBone pattern. I played around with the width, but was never quite satisfied. This is the finished product:

As you see, it curls like mad. So I pinned it out to show how it looks a bit better:

Not that impressive...
I tried it on.

Nope, not what I imagined. So I tore it apart

Then, instead of focusing on different (cable) stitches, I switched to experimenting with I-cords (And I went crazy ). More about that later.
I did do one bracelet with a lace pattern, as I liked the headband and wanted something to match. I'll post that one later in the thread I have on hair accessoiries. Hopefully within the next 24 hours... I don't have a procrastination problem...
Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I especially like the one with the button.
KnitBeg (08-07-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been practising Icords the past month or so and finally have the time to post the result.

My first try was a red, 4sts Icord. I made it long enough to go around my wrist a few times - and it turns out that this is also a perfect length to serve as a hairband:

Round my wrist:

I then picked my grey thin yarn and went on trying all sorts of things, getting inspiration from google image with the search "Icord, bracelet". Here is a picture of them all:

FIRST is the longer Icord, which goes around the wrist about 4 times. Mine is about 16cm, so I went for 4x16=64 and an additional 2cm per side for the button - 68cm in total.
I just put this Icord double and sew the ends together with a button on top:

Wearing it:

NEXT, I wanted to make one with loops on both ends, like this. However, as my yarn is this thin (and so are my needles) it didn't quite come out like that. The loops get a bit lost while wearing it:

It goes twice round the wrist, so one might go for 16x2=32cm - but there is some overlap (I chose 4cm) so I knitted a total of 40cm. Just sew the ends together and bind a loose thread around it to form the loops. Sew a button on one side:

That should do it

THIRDLY, I just used the fact that I had 3 shades of grey - no, not 50 .

I braided the yarn ends together and here's the result. Front:

Back:

A FOURTH idea was this beautiful love knot bracelet:

I had to try a couple of times to get the knot right, but I figured it out. The dark grey Icord is not 32 but 33cm long as I figured the knot would take some length away. The light grey Icord was 11cm on my first try (1/3 of the length) and I quite like how that worked out. As for the knot itself: first sew together the 11cm Icord so you get a circle. Then for the first half:

And the second:

Then I just sew the dark grey Icord together. You can also use a button and a crochetet chain loop if you have wide hands and a small wrist - that way you won't have to stretch the bracelets too far.
I also made one that is 'just the opposite':

I am quite surprised how much I could make with my grey yarn - I still have some light grey left, but after making a few bracelets for some friends I'm finally through with the dark grey :cheer: And all that out of such a small ball!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

I used the grey yarn again, this time not on an I-cord but with an actual pattern: WaveWristlet I knitted the conventional version (3 row repeat) and used 4dpns size 2.5mm. This was my first "knit in the round", or at least the first I completed:

I think I might try knitting a little looser, for the feather-and-fan pattern doesn't really stand out, just the waves. On the other hand, this is a snug fit and knitting less tight might make the bracelet too wide.
As for knitting on dpns: I am surprised how it turned out, you can't see that clearly where I switched from one needle to the other while it seemed such a gap while on the needles. But that is a good thing I went for 18, 16 and 20 stitches per needle - though I was trying to go for 3x18 but I miscounted and figured it was OK as long as the amount per needle was even (for the k2tog stitches). But somehow I did switch one stitch over to another needle No clue how I managed that.
I also think I started the 3th row 2 one needle too early, but I'm not sure as I didn't notice untill the end that I was one needle short of my starting point Not sure what happened there, but it doesn't seem to really stand out - the last row of feather-and-fan is hard to see.
Furthermore, especially in the beginning, I noticed how one of the needles I'm not knitting with got into the habit of turning vertical - almost taking my eye out in the process. I know, I shouldn't be bent over the work like that but when I focus I just go nearer and nearer - not a good posture.

I'll post "the real thing" in the WingSpan thread, as this bracelet is meant as an assecory for that Shawl. It might take a while...

BTW I've made some other bracelets that I haven't posted yet (I-cord again). I'll try to find the time this weekend.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

OK, here we go: another bracelet made with I-cords:

The bracelet is "strengthened" by iron wire inside the I-cords. Or maybe strengthened isn't the word - rather "pre-shaped".

I tried to knit the I-cords around the wire, there are plenty of how to's to find online about that. I couldn't make it work though, so I just slipped the metal wire in right before the binding of.

When I had 3 I-cords of (nearly) identical length, I sew them together. Then I had to form the still flat bracelet to fit neatly around a/my wrist. This turned out to be the hardest part and I don't think I succeeded that well. It should be circular, but it is quite angular:

It doesn't look good on the back:

Not sure what to do about it. It appears that the I-cords are a bit too short. I could reshape the wires, but I tried that already and this really is as good as it gets - or I should find a metal pipe as wide as my wrist and just shape the bracelet round it with a hammer. I don't think that's good for the knitted fabric...

I thought about 'pimping' the bracelet with crocheted flowers or beads, but as it stands I am not sure I'll ever wear it so I'll brood in it for a while
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

These are all really neat!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (10-04-2013)