Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Designing a Tea Cosy Pattern in Tubular Double-Knitting Style
I love tubular double-knitting and I also loved knitting the little tea cosy I knit, so I decided to try designing a pattern for a tea cosy in this style. I've just been making it tiny for now until I get it right. I did one which was just straight up and down with a gap on either side for the spout and the handle, but it didn't look much like a tea cosy, so I've been working on getting the right shape for one. Since a tubular cast on is quite awkward and a tubular bind-off not so difficult, I reckoned on a top down effort, which meant I had to find out how to increase in tubular double-knitting style. I did eventually find out - on this site - but still haven't got the shape quite right, probably because I was only increasing once on each row of stitches, instead of across the row.

I will have another go another day.

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernIrelandKnitter For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,423 Times in 3,102 Posts
This is really of interest. I made a little Aran knit coffee cozy recently (thankfully, a cafetiere cover so the lines were all up and down). Good luck with your design!
justplaincharlotte (08-14-2013), NorthernIrelandKnitter (09-06-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
I like your idea. I did a double knit "hat" to go over my cafetiere and did decreases I found them to be totally annoying and hope there's a better way. How are you dealing with increases and decreases and what info or instructions did you find. I came up with nothing and just figured out a way to make it work.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Ok, firstly here are a couple of pictures of the first design I came up with. One is the front view and the other is taken from the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	!st Mini Tea Cosy Design.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	57010

Name:	First Tea Cosy Design 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	57011

As you can see, it doesn't look much like a tea cosy at all, but to get the gaps for the spout and handle, I just slipped the slip stitches on to a separate needle and knit the 2 sets of stitches separately for a few rows before rejoining them on the one needle.

GG, decreasing in double-knitting is fiddly, but increasing can be more straightforward. The best method I found was to make a stitch by lifting the running thread below the next slipped stitch. I forget exactly how I got the increases on both lots of stitches, but found this helpful: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74430 and also this: http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/...e-one-increase. I have scribbled notes somewhere to assist me - if I come across them I'll pass them on.

I cast on about 4 stitches and knit a couple of rounds before doing increasing, which I did before making the gaps. Again, I have forgotten all the details - I should have written it down at the time - can't you tell I'm a novice at designing lol? I think I knit a couple of rows straight before binding off tubular/double-knit style.

Here is a picture of the result - looking slightly more like a tea cosy.

I have not yet figured out how to apply what I have learned to a normal-sized tea cosy, but will post here when I have.

Gillian
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	Photo0398 Tiny Tea Cosy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	57012  
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernIrelandKnitter For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (09-06-2013)