Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Starting to think circular knitting is not for me
at least with circular needles anyway!

so the last time you all heard from me (aside from the owl pattern post) I had told you my finger pain was back - and i think that had started due to using metal fixed circulars - although im not 100% certain. so after a month or so of not knitting my fingers felt great and i picked up my plastic straights and continued finishing this blanket (which i am now beginning to hate cos its taking forever) and my hands and fingers felt fine. THEN I placed an order for knit pro (i believe thats knitters pride in US/Canada) 4mm Spectra needle tips and a 60 cm cable and started knitting my swatch for my project that i want to knit. After a few rows of knitting with those needles my hands begin to hurt. So i do the sensible thing and stop and rest and stretch and take a break for a long period. Start up again. Ah the pain returns. and its still there after 2 days and ive not knitted!

So i've come to the conclusion that a) knitting could possibly not be for me b) circular knitting could possibly not be for me or c) i need to try another material if acrylic or metal circular needles arent doing me any good.

What do you all think? Any advice out there?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,736 Times in 2,303 Posts
Did you see the video in this thread: Stretches to relieve hand pain/numbness

The plastic needles I have do have some give to them that the others don't, maybe that's the difference?

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,115 Times in 2,828 Posts
There are so many things in so many patterns that you can make with straight needles, why not switch to using them? If you enjoy knitting it's worth using patterns for straights (of which there are plenty). Even blankets and afghans can be made in sections so that you don't need large numbers of sts on the needles at once. There's almost always more than one way to work in knitting.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
There are so many things in so many patterns that you can make with straight needles, why not switch to using them? If you enjoy knitting it's worth using patterns for straights (of which there are plenty). Even blankets and afghans can be made in sections so that you don't need large numbers of sts on the needles at once. There's almost always more than one way to work in knitting.
But..surely you can't knit with straights if you're doing a seamless knit project?
Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Seaming isn't so bad if it means you can make the things you want. It is surprising what can be done on straight needles. Knitting in The Round Straight

Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
It could be the needle material or it could be the way you hold the needles when knitting with circulars. Some people say that wood needles are gentler on the hands.

That said..it would be hard to do some seamless projects with straights. So if you decide straights are for you then you may have to avoid some patterns, but you can often find a similar one that's done flat and seamed. Things like sweaters, toys, hats, blankets.... All have seamed versions.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 08-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Specta needles are acrylic, correct? I found I did not like acrylic needles at all, they seemed sticky, now that I knit looser they might be better. Does your gauge with a given needle size come close to that given on the yarn label? I'm wondering if you are still knitting tighter than you need to. Maybe if circs are the problem somehow using dpn to knit in the round would work. When knitting in the round I often use a smaller tip for the left needle since that makes it easier to work the stitches with the right needle. There was a thread I saw recently about vintage circs made of nylon. Perhaps you could track one of them down and give it a try. I don't recall if there is an underlying medical problem. I mostly gave up crocheting because knitting is so much easier on my hands, even when I feel like I'm struggling to get the stitches for some reason. I really hope you can figure something out to your satisfaction, I'd hate to give up knitting.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
ad2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Im gonna see if I can exchange these needles for the Symphonie Cubics Rose ones.....unless anyone else can suggest a material/brand
Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

It may not be the needles that are giving you fits.
I took a class last weekend to learn continental style knitting. I used straight needles, bamboo, that I've used many times before without problems.
This time, however, after just a 3 hour class, with probably not more than an hour of actual knitting, my hands were killing me!
Conclusion, I was so intent on learning the new way of knitting that I was gripping the needles with an iron fist, hence the sore hands and wrists!!
I can usually knit for many hours using whatever needles I happen to pick up without any problems.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABC's Mom For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (08-18-2013), justplaincharlotte (08-26-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
claireweber
Working the Gusset

I am wondering if the length on the fixed circulars may be an issue as far as finger and hand positioning are concerned. I have found that the interchangeable needles are longer in length than the fixed circular. I have a chiaogoo interchangeable set of needles and a cable both of which I was able to purchase separately, avoiding the cost of buying an entire set. You could try purchasing a set when you are ready or perhaps someone you know has a pair or interchangeables you could try using.

When you are healed you might consider finishing your blanket and then start tackling this problem again. Which part of your fingers/hand are affected?

I'm sorry you are having to go through this, not only the pain but the frustration.