Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
redrose
Casting On

Knitting on a Loom
I do not know how to knit or crochet. I have seen the Martha Stewart Knitting Loom and watched the videos and am thinking about trying it. I was wondering, how similar is knitting with needles and knitting on the loom? For anyone who does both, which do you prefer? Which would you recommend for someone who has never knitted or crocheted before?

Thank you for your help. Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
redrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redrose For This Useful Post:
robrtosusasd3642 (09-06-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Although the final product looks similar using a loom is less useful unless you just want to make scarves and hats. Ive seen a lot of frustration learning to use a loom. Most everyone here hand knits so getting loom help is harder.

Knitting isn't hard. It's basically just two stitches, knit and purl, and some variations. It takes patience and practice just like any new hobby.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-06-2013), GrumpyGramma (09-04-2013), justplaincharlotte (10-10-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
redrose
Casting On

Do you think that learning on a loom translates to learning with needles or would the loom be a complete waste of time?
redrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
I don't think time spent learning something you want to do could be considered a complete waste. I don't see how you could learn anything from loom knitting that would really help when knitting with needles. The method of making the fabric is too different. What is it you want to accomplish? If you want to be able to knit just about anything, then learning to use needles would make sense IMO. If you only want to make a scarf or hat, I'm really not sure what else loom knitters make, then a loom could make sense. It all depends on what you want to do. Asking here is not likely to get you a really balanced response, as Jan said we all use needles. There aren't a lot of loom knitters here. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a place for asking questions about loom knitting specifically somewhere online.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-06-2013), justplaincharlotte (10-10-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by redrose View Post
Do you think that learning on a loom translates to learning with needles or would the loom be a complete waste of time?
I'll clarify my position by saying straight off that I'm not a loom knitter.

From what I've (very briefly) seen about loom knitting I think of it being more like the manual, or hand, version of machine knitting. (I know that sounds like a paradox.) A bit like the way a manual typewriter relates to a computer keyboard. So, I don't think loom and hand knitting translate to each other. As for being a waste of time (in its own right), I'm unable to comment either way.

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I don't think time spent learning something you want to do could be considered a complete waste. I don't see how you could learn anything from loom knitting that would really help when knitting with needles. The method of making the fabric is too different. What is it you want to accomplish? If you want to be able to knit just about anything, then learning to use needles would make sense IMO. If you only want to make a scarf or hat, I'm really not sure what else loom knitters make, then a loom could make sense. It all depends on what you want to do. Asking here is not likely to get you a really balanced response, as Jan said we all use needles. There aren't a lot of loom knitters here. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a place for asking questions about loom knitting specifically somewhere online.
I put 'loom knitting forum' into Google and came up with a lot of hits. I've had a quick look and these two look promising:

http://www.loomroom.com/index.html

http://loomknittinghelp.com/index.html

I think, if you do take up loom knitting, YouTube videos and hunting round for any forums that you feel happy with will be the way to go.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
ChatyKathy
Ribbing the Cuff

I do know how to do both Loom knitting and hand knitting. I have made different things with the looms other than hats and scarves. I did purchase the Knifty knitter looms as they have the round type and the long type to make different things. I have made Afghans with the long type and Yes it can get boring just going in a circle. If you cant hold the needles like some of my friends the looms work Great! I think it just depends on what your hands can do. There are lots of books for the knitting looms and its not that hard to do, as some are intimated by the knitting needles and some cant figure out the patterns. I just do what I want and even make my own patterns. I guess it just comes down to what is more comfortable to you to use. Good luck in your decision!
The Following User Says Thank You to ChatyKathy For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Elealeh
Casting On

Originally Posted by redrose View Post
I do not know how to knit or crochet. I have seen the Martha Stewart Knitting Loom and watched the videos and am thinking about trying it. I was wondering, how similar is knitting with needles and knitting on the loom? For anyone who does both, which do you prefer? Which would you recommend for someone who has never knitted or crocheted before?

Thank you for your help. Any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I'm just learning to knit with needles, but I've been using a loom for years. To be honest, the two are similar in some ways, but very different in others. It's true that there are less things you can make on a loom than with needles, but it isn't just limited to hats and scarves, the more people start using looms, the more patterns come out. Bev's country cottage has alot of needle & loom patterns, and for a beginner loom knitting might help you to get the basic concept down, but it's still different from needle knitting.

When it comes down to it (in my humble opinion):
-Loom knitting is easier, but with less options
-Needle knitting is harder, but with more options

Either one would be good to start with, if you have the patience. Maybe try a little of both & see which feels better for you

Call me Ellie
Elealeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elealeh For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-06-2013), GrumpyGramma (09-05-2013), justplaincharlotte (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
brendajj1955
Casting On

loom knitting
i think i will like this going to share with loom knitting friends maybe we can get some long time loomers in here to answer questions
brendajj1955 is offline   Reply With Quote