Old 09-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
What started your knitting hobby?
Did you learn as a child or adult? I learned due to my love of reading. I got hooked on The Blossom Street books by Debbie Macomber. The main character knits in most of her novels. The Blossom Street series all had a knitting pattern in them, and I was fascinated. Just curious

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woofens For This Useful Post:
claireweber (09-11-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

I made one hat as a kid; my mom taught me how. I still have the hat, and it actually isn't hideous! Still, I wasn't interested in knitting anything after that. Too sedentary, I was athletic and had a horse, just more into doing outside stuff.

Flash forward about 40 years, 3 knee surgeries, a shoulder surgery, and arthritic joints, and sitting still knitting seems like a good idea, suddenly. Before that, I was needle-felting little animals, and when I was on Etsy looking for wool, I kept seeing all this beautiful yarn. Then, with websites like Knittinghelp, Ravelry, and YouTube, it was easy to reteach myself.
All these years I was beating myself up skiing, running and getting thrown from horses, and I could've been KNITTING!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-09-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I learned to knit while working as the late shift cashier at Mannings Cafeteria Restaurant in downtown Seattle in 1970. Our Night Manager knit during the last few slow hours before 1 am closing. She sat at the cubby counter around the corner behind me out of customer's view. I was curious. She showed me how to knit with two sharp pencils and a little ball of yarn.

The rest is history!

My first project was tri-color garter stitch scarf that was prolly a foot wide and 5-6 feet long, not counting the fringe! Quite the monstrosity, but I was very proud of it! Not one stitch amiss. But I knew nothing about proportions!

It was mostly white, with a 5 ridges red stripe and 5 ridges blue stripe at each end.

I've forgotten a lot of what I've knit over the past 43 years, but not that doggone scarf! And I've never forgotten my patient old teacher, Winifred!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I did simple crochet from the time I was a kid when I'd make Barbie clothes and then baby blankets and hair ties for my daughters. I'd always wanted to knit though so 8 yrs ago when I was about 52 I learned and I'm mostly self taught.

I also love knitting novels and knitting mysteries! Authors for you or others to try...thank goodness for Kindle or I'd never remember what and whom I've read!!

Anne Canadeo
Sally Goldenbaum
Gil McNeil
Maggie Sefton
Ann Hood
Terri DuLong
Beth Patillo
Mary Kruger

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
artsy1 (09-12-2013), GrumpyGramma (09-10-2013), jinxnit55 (09-10-2013), Woofens (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
As a kid, I was visiting a friend at the shore and her mother bought us needles and yarn and taught us to knit. I'm a lefty and all she could teach was right-handed so I learned to knit righty. The Mom was a saint! Knitting occupied us all the rest of the summer.
Jan, thanks for the recommendations.
Woofens (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I learned as an adult. I knew how to crochet, but I wanted a knitted -- not crocheted -- scarf and decided to learn to make my own.

I learned to knit around Christmas 2006. I made a scarf for my son, then one for my daughter, then a bigger one for my son, and another one for him when he lost the second one, a bigger scarf for my daughter, a third scarf for my son who complained his scarf was itchy, and I finished one for me in January of this year (2013).

I have yarn for two more scarves to be just like the last one that I made for my oldest son, one each for my daughter and youngest son, if I can remember how I made that one. I think it's just a standard rib stitch -- I'll have to look at it again. I wanted it quick, simple, and scrunchable.

I'm still wearing my scarf, by the way.

I've read two audiobooks of the Blossom Street series and I have the knitting book that goes with the one I liked. (I didn't like the reader on one of the books; the book was good, the narrator was awful.) Very good series and I've been thinking about getting the other books to see what I've missed, but the narrators are all different and I'm kind of scared of who I'll get.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Thanks, Jan, for the list. I have Death by Cashmere by Sally Goldenbaum on my Kindle now. I was so glad to see titles for the Kindle available at my library.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
claireweber
Working the Gusset

My first and only knitting lesson was a three to four hour session from a woman who owned a LYS in Santa Fe. I had wanted to learn for years, and when a friend suggested we do the class together, well, I was in.

The woman who owns the store is Eastern European and seemed quite strict to me. At the time, it had been about a year since I had been involved in an automobile crash and I suffered from a closed brain injury as a result; due to the nature of the injury, I was unaware of it for a number of years.

I still look back and have a bit of a chuckle, this woman was soooo impatient with me. My short term memory was quite impacted, and it did make it difficult to learn; to this day I still struggle with it, but fortunately DH has finally realized that I have an issue.

My first project was a seed stitch scarf, an excellent way to learn the knit and purl stitches, I would recommend this to any beginner. I used Noro Kureyon and knitted it with Clover bamboo straights, size 9.
Woofens (09-11-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

My grandmother tried to teach me when I was a wee bairn, but I never got the hang of it. In the Depression, she and her sister knit for their family and she hated it as an adult. But she wanted to pass it and sewing along. Unfortunately she never learned that she really did pass on the knitting.

I learned to knit as an adult on a business trip in Q4 of 2010 (I think) that had a weekend stay over with clearance yarn, needles, and booklet from a local WalMart. I was looking for an inexpensive way to kill some time, and figured for about $6 I could frustrate myself for the whole weekend. I did, and a yarn monster was born.

I still use that first ugly stockinette square as a coaster.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
KnittinGal
Ribbing the Cuff

About a year ago, our local library offered a knitting class which my mom, my sister, a few of our nearby friends, and I took. How could we pass it up...the cost per class was $1!

I didn't really care for it much in the beginning, but a friend of mine (who happens to be subscribed on this forum ) convinced me to knit baby hats and a cardigan for a charity. After that, I couldn't stop! One of my favorite things about knitting is trying a new item every project.

Thank you for sharing your stories, everyone!

"Who shall find a valiant woman? far and from the uttermost coasts is the price of her...she will render him good, and not evil, all the days of her life. She hath sought wool and flax, and hath wrought by the counsel of her hands...her fingers have taken hold of the spindle. Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain: the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised." ~Proverbs 31
KnittinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittinGal For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-10-2013)