Old 09-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
knittingnurse2013
Casting On

How to "long st"
I am a brand new knitter, I've successfully made dishcloths and scarves. I am attempting to make a coffee mug holder and need someone to explain this to me...

Row 3 (RS) P3, * long st (insert needle into stitch 2 rows below stitch and K1 dropping the unworked st), P3; rep from * to end of row.

I understand row 3 on the right side purl 3, but them I'm lost, please help. I'm currently looking for a local class to learn, everything I know I've learned online. I tried to add a link to the pattern, but it won't post. I'm trying to make the beer coffee mug cozie from the recently added patterns page.
knittingnurse2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knittingnurse2013 For This Useful Post:
banglastts8960 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Hello and welcome to KH! It's great that you've been able to learn to knit from the internet, you must be very determined.

Well, I hope I can explain this clearly enough, please ask questions if you need further clarification.

To knit the ‘long stitch’, hold your knitting as you normally would, and stretch it out, this will help you identify the correct stitch. You will be inserting your right needle into the ‘leg’ of the stitch that is two stitches directly below the stitch on your left needle.

Pull this stitch up and onto your right needle, and then transfer it to your left needle. The two stitches that are above this stitch will drop down; don’t be surprised, they are supposed to do this. You are now ready to knit the stitch from two rows below to form a ‘long stitch’.
knittingnurse2013 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
knittingnurse2013
Casting On

That makes sense, I think I'm doing it right now... What does it mean when it says and K1 dropping the unworked stitch??? What unworked stitch??
knittingnurse2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,344 Times in 3,028 Posts
You won't be working the next stitch on the left needle which you normally would. Instead, you'll work the stitch 2 rows directly below it. Do as Claire suggests and pick up that stitch from 2 rows below, knit it and then drop the stitch that's next on the left hand needle (this is the stitch 2 rows up from the one you've just picked up). You'll leave a little ladder across the back of the stitch as it pulls out from the sts on either side of it but that's ok.
justplaincharlotte (09-18-2013)