Old 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
grannyjan
Casting On

Help interpreting pattern-new knitter
I am working on the shoulder-slit sweater by vogueknitting. This is my first clothing pattern so please don'g laugh at me to much. The pattern reads as follows. BACK:CO 96 st. Work in St st for 15". Done this.
BEG Sleeves: CO 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows (106 sts.). Work even for 2 rows.
INC ROW (RS) k3, M1 k to last 3 sts, M1 Ks. Rep inc row every 6th row 6 times more giving 120 sts. Done. Work even until armhole measures 7" from cast on edge, end with a WS row
NECK AND SHOULDER SHAPING: Bind of 35 sts at beg of next row for right shoulder. Bind off rem 85 sts for left shoulder and back neck.
First question:When I end with a WS at the end of the INC ROW then I begin bind off on the RS?.
It then says Bind off rem 85 sts for left shoulder and back. Why doesnt' it just say bind off all stitches at once?

Now for the FRONT: Work as for back until piece measures 20". Mark center 40 sts for neck. Second question: Do I also follow the sleeve instructions as well?

NECK SHAPING Next row (RS) work to center marked neck sts, join 2nd ball of yarn and bind off center 40 sts, work to end. Work both sides at once for 1 row more. Third question: which end do I work to? I think I get the work both sides at once for 1 more row. I just knit across the entire row one more time.

I think I have abused you enough for now. But please know any help you can give me is certainly appreciated.
grannyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Yes, when you when you end with a WS at the end of the INC ROW, begin bind off on the RS.
I suspect that you bind off 35 for the right shoulder and then work to the end of the row, turn and then bind off the 85sts, 35sts for the left shoulder and the rest for the back.
On the front, yes, follow the instructions for the sleeves too.
On the neck shaping, you're on a RS row working to the center marked sts and binding off the center 40sts. You then work to the end of the row and turn to the WS row. This next purl row is the one row that is worked with 2 balls of yarn (at least to this point).
Which vogue pattern is this? Have you checked the website for errata?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
grannyjan
Casting On

Thanks for your quick response. The pattern is shoulder-slit sweater by vogue knitting. I checked for any pattern corrections and did not find any. I will give it my best shot. I'm still on that learning curve and try to be gentle on myself. Happy knitting and thanks again.
grannyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
Very nice pattern. The schematic does make it look like you could bind off all the sts for the back, straight across. Don't know why the directions are given as they are. Either way should work fine.
http://www.vogueknitting.com/Default.aspx?TabId=1197